Got Jag?

Man, that install took forever. About 1.5 hours. However, the new sherlock is cool. I always thought it was a crappy and slow file searching utility with a web interface I didn't want.

Now I think it's a neat way to find movie showtimes (with trailers) stocks, etc. I like it.

What other features are nice?

Vanguard

BTW, the speed improvement is nice but browsing is still way slower than my windows machine.

so me and my girlfriend wait in line for around 45 min. to get this wonderful OS X for the educational price. but ofcourse when i go up to by it no such luck. they only offer edu discounts on hardware!

Attachments

• dsc07480.jpg
    dsc07480.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 159
btw vanguard...ever heard of watson..much faster than sherlock with more features...the only thing its lacking is the yellow pages

How well does the backup and install option work in the installer? I have it now and want to install it soon, but I have some iDVD projects and things that I can't afford to loose, and no place to back up 4gig+ files.

Installed it on my g/f's iBook, and so far its nice and smooth, had a security update already though.

Got mine at the AppleStore in Buffalo... There were over 300 people there waiting for Jag...

While I was there I milked the genius for a few questions and also checked out the PowerMate (they were sold out of them by the time I decided to buy one).

In any case, as stated to me by a developer... My non-apple Menu Extras can no longer be rearranged... This is the only think that I don't like about Jag (the haxie does not seem to work on Menu Extras that have been updated to work on 10.2).

Aside from that, I'm stoooked about Jag. I was abusing it pretty good yesterday and it handled it all pretty well... Also, I have a lot of login items and Jag logs in much better.

one quoock Q for mr_mac_x:
Where are those menu extras?

Originally posted by LordOphidian
How well does the backup and install option work in the installer? I have it now and want to install it soon, but I have some iDVD projects and things that I can't afford to loose, and no place to back up 4gig+ files.

Installed it on my g/f's iBook, and so far its nice and smooth, had a security update already though.

it just sort of saves your /system folder in another place, keeps your user folder the same, and saves a few other things. then you restore some and delete it. anything specific you need to know?

Went to the ATL Jaguar release party. It was mayhem! I wonder how many people got left standing outside. There were plenty of people wrapped around the edges of the railing overlooking the downstairs of the mall. There were hundreds of people there. I plopped down my cash and all I got was a lousy t-shirt...and a mouse pad.
Went home and installed on my PowerBook G3 Bronze. It took a little over an hour. I like the percentage meter for optimization. Kinda miss the smiling Apple guy, but the grey Apple logo is cool.
Everything went fine and the computer was noticably more responsive: applications launch faster, iTunes and Quicktime seem much happier in 10.2. There are thousands of little things that improve the look and feel of Aqua. However, I had to reinstall the ATI hack as described at xlr8yourmac.com. Once that little housekeeping was attended to I really noticed the improvement.
I thoroughly recommend this upgrade. It is a big improvment.
THANK YOU APPLE!!!

BTW, had a chance to play with the 1MB cache Dual 1ghz at the Apple Store. Once you see the iTunes visualizer running full screen at upwards of 62 fps on a 23" Cinema Display all concerns about speed somehow disappear in the splash of colors. The new ones are fast folks. Can't wait to play with the 1.25's.

Me too... :)

Went to the Apple Store in Durham (Southpoint) for the 10:20 thing. I was a little surprised at the turnout - it was great! I was there with a friend, and we managed to get into the store a little before 11pm, and afterward went down to Champs for a bit of (very) late dinner. Wandered back up to the store at around 12:45 (that's AM, remember :D), and there were still folks there, playing with systems and, more interestingly, buying systems.

After a 2 hour drive home, my iBook got blessed with 10.2, which went perfectly. This morning, after just a few hours sleep, my G4/500 got the upgrade as well.

I'd say I'm generally pleased with the upgrade. I'm very pleased with how seamless an upgrade it was. The only thing I had to 'fix' was to turn SWAT back on in inetd.conf. Interestingly, the installer made a backup, so it was a simple copy and paste to correct.

I was somehow expecting a more dramatic improvment in performance, but that would probably be true regardless how fast it got.

Finally, does InkWell feel like a 'not-quite-ready-for-primetime' feature to anyone else? I played with it a little bit on my iBook, and i could barely get it to recognize even block printing. It was fun to see the Newton font show up, though.. ;)

Got my copy with my new iMac. Upgrade only. VERY annoying. No clean install option, no reformat and install option, no install without 10.1 option.:( At least I was able to do a clean install of 10.1. I don't think I am getting the full performance benefits I would from a truly clean install, though. Oh well. It is still VERY nice! I have the flurry screensaver running as my desktop background with no notable performance drops :D

Originally posted by DooBall
And another bug when you right click just above the dock, the list pops up with a arrow (it doesnt show the full list on popup when it should) [/B]

Does this in 10.1.X too. It's because dropdown menus are supposd to display down the screen from where the cursor was right-clicked. By the Dock and just above doesn't have enough room below so the menu appears above but it's options are below the Menu Down arrow which makes them below the mouse cursor. Seems a bit silly really - it should calculate the position and do something about it.

But it was there in 10.1.5.

UK don't have Apple Store shipping Jag yet. And won't have until Tuesday next week because Monday is a public holiday and Apple are tight and wouldn't put a Saturday delivery on it for us. And we pay more over here for it too. So I'm stuck with 10.1.5 desperate to try out Jag. Sigh!

Back