Got my AirPort Express!

Go3iverson

Registered
So, I got the AirPort Express in the mail, with the Monster cable hookup kit. Only had a few minutes to play around with it, but set up is very easy (of course) and sound quality was excellent.

I'll post much more later today. I'm going to reset the station and do the initial process all over so I can give better details. Also try it out with more types of music in a larger room. :)

So far, so good though!

my AP Express came on friday....but the monster cable kit (which was part of the SAME order, and NOT coming from over seas....) is not to be delivered until today. ummmm, ok.

lol
oh well. I used a cheesy old cable in the meantime to test it out.

what I wonder: can the APE be used as a wireless lan extender and itunes streamer/printserver at the same time?

I'd think it could be used as such.

I had the exact opposite happen to me. My Monster kit arrived nice and early, my Express was bumped back a week, but only came two business days late.

Are you using optical for your output on it?

depends if I hook the audio portion up to my basement system, or my family room system. the basement is where the serious stuff is at, so I'd go optical, but we're not down there just for the sake of listening to music too often.
so I'll probably stay analog on the lesser stereo upstairs. not that I'm a huge audiophile who could tell much difference anyway!

i'd think, that if your printer and stereo are close enough (to both connect to the APE) then it would work fine. mine aren't close enough.

also, side note:
maybe I didn't spend enough time on it, but it didn't appear to be able to extend the signal of my non AirPort base station (I've got linksys and netgear routers). so if anyone else has had luck with this, i'd be interested in hearing about it.

quiksan said:
also, side note:
maybe I didn't spend enough time on it, but it didn't appear to be able to extend the signal of my non AirPort base station (I've got linksys and netgear routers). so if anyone else has had luck with this, i'd be interested in hearing about it.

Usually wireless bridging is propietary to uniform brand usage. Like Airport to Airport, Linksys to Linksys, etc. I *tried* to bridge with my Linksys and I'll be resetting my Airport Express! :)

Got my 2 APE's today and was a little disappointed that I couldn't use both as remote speakers at the same time. I wanted to stream music through the whole house. I can't even play over my computer speakers at the same time as the remote speakers. Hope someone writes an app to make this possible.

Thanks Satcomer. I gave both a try with no luck.

If I could just play through the computer of one of the APE's remote speakers I'd be happy.

Apple needs to add a "play through all" option.

So, it took a little fighting, but I got my Airport Express to join my Linksys WRT54G home network as a client. Now, granted, this *could* have been much easier than it really was. I use MAC address filtering on my Linksys, so the first thing I did was add the AX's MAC address into my allowed list. I then went back into the Admin utility and set up the AX to be a client of the Linksys. I promptly then lost all communication with the AX.

"Hmmmmm" I thought.

I reset the AX again, go through the steps...no dice....

"D'oh!" I thought.

Reset it again, set it as a static client....nope.

Open up the Linksys and, wait, my MAC address is gone! So I have my roommate get me the MAC address again, I type it in, still no dice.

At this point, I'm really craving an AirPort Extreme, but I decide to disconnect my AX and plug it directly into the Linksys unit to set it up, when I realize my buddy, who works in IT, had me enter in the *wired* MAC address, not the *wireless*....

Slap that MAC address into my allowed list and it's worked great since. It is still running as a static IP, though that doesn't worry me too much, as it's much higher in my lease range than any amount of computers in my home will touch. I've been too weary of doing this again to try switching back to DHCP, but I hope someone out there can learn from my exprience.

No regrets so far though. Sound quality is very good. Except for when you have family in town staying on your sofa bed and you accidently start blasting music into your living room instead of on your local computer speakers. (yes, I did do that!)

I was considering geting a couple to put them around the house, but if you cant play out of more than one set of speakers at once then i dont think i'll bother. The idea was when I had partys etc.I could play the music out of all my stereos etc. because even the main stereo which is down stairs isnt loud enough to hear it on the 3rd floor (split level house) and even if i could play it out of the computer speakers and the stero downstairs that would be prob. be enough, maybe apple will make this a feature in the next itunes release (4.7 or what ever) Is there a page on the apple site where you can make suggestions on products, like there is for songs for the iTMS? if so we should all ask for "multi-speaker" playing there!

Go3iverson said:
No regrets so far though. Sound quality is very good. Except for when you have family in town staying on your sofa bed and you accidently start blasting music into your living room instead of on your local computer speakers. (yes, I did do that!)

That one cracked me up! :p

Satcomer said:
That one cracked me up! :p

We actually all did get a good kick out of it, once I was sure that my mother was going to survive the shock! :)

There's a real lesson to be learned here...technology can be very dangerous in the wrong hands! ;)

OK, Got my whole house completely networked with 2 APE's and an Airport Base Station. I can play my tunes from any of 4 computers on my network (one of which is a PC)! :D

Now I'm ready for my iPod Airport Adapter!!!

Keep it coming ::love:: APPLE ::love::

Back