great firewire cd-rws.

boi

official breaker of macs.
what's a really good one? i'm talking compatibility here. ever since i bought that crappy lacie 4x2x24 (or whatever) Mitsumi 4802 usb burner back when i got my g4 450 i've been ultra paranoid about buying burners that work. this burner never worked with anything, ever. i got it to work with windows once, and 9.x occasionally, and X sees the burner, tells me what it is, but refuses to use it.
anyway, i digress... i'm buying a new one now. firewire. 12x +. i want to be able to stick the plug in the little hole and do nothing else to get it to work. i'm running 10.1.2 if that matters... has anyone had great experience with any particular burner?

thanks!

Oo boi ... or astro boi? o.

I actually went and bought one of those firewire to IDE cases that allow you to put and an external IDE cd/rw/dvd/hd or whatever in it and connect to your mac through firewire.

I have several cdrw drives around that were bought to work in my Windoze PCs every single one I hooked up and connected to my iMac 400 DV OS X recognized it and burned beautifully.

No where on the box or manuals of these drive say they work with Macintosh but once connected they were recognized and worked great with no drivers at all.

The best thing is that building your own external devices is soo much cheaper. The ADS external firewire/IDE case I bought was about $99 and bought a 40gig Maxtor HD for around $75.

Internal drives are usually pretty cheaper than external so you can save a little there and create your own external.

The cdrw drives I tried in the adapter were:
Philips PCRW 804
HP 9710

I tend to try and buy a more reputable name drive if you're going to try this yourself, but since the succes of this first test, I'm going to build all of my external drives...

Hope this info helps!

-B

I too made one....took a Yamaha 2100e 16x10x40 cdrw and a ADS Pyro firewire enclosure and put them together. It even works out of iTunes and in Toast without any problems at all....plus it only cost about 180 to make.

Attachments

• iburner1.jpg
    iburner1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 53
I would strongly recommend that you do NOT buy from QPS
personally I love my QPS and have had no problems with it using toast titanium which i strongly recommend. toast for osx is still beta and not fully functional but it does 90% of what i want it to do now. Toast provides all the proper updates for the que!fire series. I don't think you can use toast and disc burner interchangebly though. Toast extensions conflict with apples. There is a lot more about this issue on roxio's web site. The qps drives are big and take up a lot of disk space but their stablility in osx/9.2.1 is great. You might want to go to roxio's site and join one of their discussion groups and ask this same question there. Lots of full blown power burner geeks there!!

I just bought the QPS Que!Fire 24x10x40 cdrw

The guy at compusa (idiot as usual) said

"You using this with a PC?"
we said no with a mac.
he said "Oh, then you don't want this one"
we said why?
he said "it' not compatible many people are having trouble with it"
we said but it says for Mac/PC and has a picture of a mac right on the front
he wanted to sell us a slower one that cost more.
we said we'll take the Q drive...

brought it home, pluged it in power and then the firewire.
NO SOFTWARE TO INSTALL! NOTHING TO SETUP OR CONFIGURE!
poped in a blank and both Toast and Apples built in CD burn saw it and worked out of the box first try with no troubles at all what so ever. I burn a 700 meg CD in 3 minutes.

My question is what did the people that couldnt get it to work do? use it as a football first? come on I pluged it in and put in a cd thats all!

I highly recomend this drive it comes in a nice carrying case too it's only $230.00

cheers

Jesus! relax I was't posting in response to your post... I merely stated what my outcome was... I'm sorry your having problems but you don't need to take them out on me because I'm not.

as for the customer support I have not needed it yet and hope I will not need to. but as of now the drive works great.

The original question was information about firewire cdrws.... I have sent my information as requested.

I also had some scsi drives lacie and another I cant recall that don't work at all now with OS 10 no support from apple on those but I got over it and bought a new firewire drive....

I also have a printer that doesn't work an epson 800 no support from apple or epson so I am screwed for $300.00 on that pourchase but again I will just get a new one...

Again I'm sorry you have trouble but all I was offering was my findings on my drive.

Cheers
Be Happy
Eddie

Haha funny compusa people. they are Dumbasses.
Yeh I just looked and the 24x firewire Que!Fire burners are at $199 right now

:) Time to upgrade my 12x Que!Fire:D

Originally posted by ERICBRIAN2002
YAMAHA BURNERS ARE THE BEST MINE IS 16X10X4 FIREWIRE. WITH 8MB SO ITS ERROR PROOF. IT COST ME 300 BUT NOW THERE AT 200-250. IT WORKS GREAT WITH MY IMAC WITH OSX.1 EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTION AT ERIC.BRIAN2@VERIZON.NET

...ditto, (minus the capslock)

Originally posted by iKevin
I too made one....took a Yamaha 2100e 16x10x40 cdrw and a ADS Pyro firewire enclosure and put them together. It even works out of iTunes and in Toast without any problems at all....plus it only cost about 180 to make.

Those burners with the Firewire symbol on the cases are badass!

testuser, I can really relate to the customer service problem. It was one of the reasons I gave up on my old archos usb minicdrw and bought the que. I am a little surprised I haven't had some kind of trouble like you describe since mine is the discontinued(?) 8x8x32x model. since i have toast titanium w/background burning, time is not the real issue for me. I am much more concerned with stablity and that it just plain works - which it does so far. also since i have toast titanium I get support from them if i need it which is where most all(?) of the drive makers seem to want to refer you unless you can positively id a hardware problem. owners of oem versions of toast must rely on the support threads for peer support. I read those regularly just to learn (as i do threads at macosx.com) and find that they prevent me from screwing up in advance as well as help me learn more about toast's capabilities. People there, like here, are quite helpful although they aren't as fast as all replies are sifted thru their moderator.

efoivx, i can certainly see why testuser responded so personally after you said "My question is what did the people that couldnt get it to work do? use it as a football first? come on I pluged it in and put in a cd thats all!" He was the only one to post a complaint about it. I also think he has a valid point in letting boi and the rest of group know about this poor experience. there is probably no product out there that hasn't pissed somebody off at some time or another. I'll bet there are even people who would tell you not to buy a mac because of some past experience ;). there are potentially plenty of reasons testuser had more problems - different hardware configurations, just a problematic drive, other software he has installed that we don't, etc. I think we both expressed how happy we are with our que's. We shouldn't have to try and invalidate someone's less fortunate experience to express our happiness.For various reasons, i have nothing but the highest respect for testuser. He has helped me out of a jam and he helps many others on a regular basis when others just watch and see what happens. It sounds like he ended up solving his own problems with the que but wants to warn others it might be more than they bargain for. fair enough in my mind.
of course i think my que is the second coolest piece of hardware sitting on my desk and i am an eyecandy junkie. given two equal choices i will take the one that looks better. I also bought my que because I had seen very few complaints about them on the roxio group.

I have a question for boi - do you currently have a cdrw and experience with burning discs? If not, your original question is a lot more complex than you might have realized. There is plenty of what works for one not working for another in the world of burners.

Like I said... I wasn't posting a response to testuser. Sorry it appeared that way... I was relating to the story I told about my compusa sales person that told me that it wouldn't work on a mac.

BTW - I am one of those mac users that could say not to buy a mac, but I own about 20 so who am I to say anything.

Out of all my macs only and ONLY 1 came DOA yep thats right DOA and then couldn''t get a replacement... the only thing apple would do is send out a repair person and change the logic board ... well thats sort of a whole new machine but it did arive DOA. and that alone with the poor response from apple ( had to argue to get support ) got me very upset that day.

Any one notice apples tech support has drastically gotten lousey since 15 years ago. damn now I'm showing my age LOL

Cheers All
Sorry for any hurt feelings

Any one notice apples tech support has drastically gotten lousey since 15 years ago. damn now I'm showing my age LOL

I absolutely agree!! On the other hand, peer support like this site, macfixit, apple's own discussion groups, and others, have really filled the void. When we get to the point where we can do these sites with a web cam and real time dialogue.... hmm, just slipping into a dream. wake me in an hour or so.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

When we get to the point where we can do these sites with a web cam and real time dialogue.... hmm, just slipping into a dream. wake me in an hour or so.

"Okay, now slip off the computer's case, real slowly, now...yeah, like that..."

I agree. My relation with QPS customer support wasn't that exceptional.

My problem was that my original Que! Fire Firewire 12x10x32x CD burner would burn Data CDs perfectly, but when it went to burn Audio CDs, something would fuck up, and even though it said it burned successfully, no CD players would play the CD, and even when I reinserted it into the CD burner to read it, it wouldn't read it. I contacted QPS technical support about it -- I sent off a few e-mails about it with no real helpful support. So I called them, and i got some stupid solutions, like increasing the disk cache in Toast or burning the CD at 1x speed (!). I had wasted 13 CDs because of that annoying problem. They finally sent me a replacement form and I sent in the burner (along with the 13 coasters with a note saying that I would like 13 blank CDs shipped to me because of the problem). They shipped the new burner pretty fast, but they never responded about the CDs, which kind of pissed me off. I decided to give up since CDs aren't actually that expensive -- I was out about $8, so it's not so bad. But their support isn't that great.

Needless to say my burner has actually been working properly after I got the replacement burner, and I've been completely happy with it. I would probably suggest buying from another company, though.

I guess the best customer service is the one you never need which is how i have felt about apple & panasonic for many years. If panasonic made a drive for macs (with their name on it) i would purchase it above any others.It would certainly be easy to turn this thread into a rant about all the companies that have pissed us off - the good companies would be the short list i'm sure. But the important thing here is that boi gets what he's looking for. I know i would feel cautious and confused about qps after hearing the reports. nobody has knocked the yamaha suggestion yet. Maybe they are a good way to go for people in this situation.

boi, what have you learned outside of this thread that might be influencing your decision? we've knocked qps, la cie & archos. What other burners are there that are mac compatible and live up to the claim besides yamaha? and don't cost $400 or more.

"what's it gonna be boi, yes or no?
I gotta know right now, before we go any further..."
-meatloaf:D

Originally posted by testuser
I would suggest looking at any firewire burner with "burn-proof" technology. I have one made by QPS, and it never has had any problems with buffer underruns.

I would strongly recommend that you do NOT buy from QPS. Even though their firewire burners are okay, their support is horrible. I eventually had to remove my drive from it's enclosure and put it in my G4 to keep it working. I'm not sure if it was because the firewire-IDE bridge was going bad, or because the firmware needed updating. It is a Plextor drive, but QPS has only provided PC based updaters; nothing for the Mac (and the updaters made by Plextor don't work with this QPS drive). QPS didn't respond to my emails, and I gave up after waiting for 10-15 minutes on the phone without being able to reach tech support.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem; however, I LOVE my QPS Que! FireWire CDRW! It works GREAT! I have a PowerBook and I've NEVER had a problem with mine (it is a 12X10X32 CDRW). They even make faster ones now. (Looks great too -- I've had it for a year without incident).

I've got a LaCie 4x USB, works fine in X.1.1 and 9 w/ Toast. Never tried it with the OS X Toast (since I don't have it!).

Yup, blazing speed here! (My iMac doesn't have firewire ports, anyways.)

GRR! My dad just sold MY 12x10x32 Que!Fire burner for some SHITTY sony 8x?x? firewire portable drive
he says "you can use it when i dont need to take it with my TiBook"
First he gets a QS, then he gets a TiBook, now hes selling my shit to make his shit better?! What has this world come to.

Im gonna think about buying myself a 18-24x burner. What company you reccommend?
email me answers please! :)
spencer@txk.net

Back