Greatest Mac review ever...............

It kinda scares me when people are so obviously *not* trying to adapt to a new system. Imagine how he would handle a career change. From lawyer to, say, bartender. "Where do I find the forms I have to fill out in order to deny this lady the drink she's ordered?"

It kinda scares me when people are so obviously *not* trying to adapt to a new system.
I agree with you, fryke. Sometimes I come across PC users who dabble with using a Mac, but they very quickly start to criticize the platform because it doesn't do things the same way they are used to (even though that's partly the point!). I think some people can be quite lazy or just don't want, deep down, to be convinced. Mind you, this guy did spend a fair amount of money on a new machine, and so you'd hope he'd make an effort!

Anyone considered writing to him, politely, to point out a few things to him? Such as the ability to use multi-button mice, the keyboard shortcut for screenshots, Safari being able to handle Flash, and the like? :confused:

The best is him not managing to connect these two statements:
They seduced me with siren songs, especially good customer support -- which did turn out to be excellent and was staffed with American speakers working in the United States.
I couldn't tell what was going wrong and had to hire someone for $125 an hour to come over and tell me what the heck was happening.

He should stick to his day job, although I have to wonder how he passed the bar with that kind of (un)common sense. :rolleyes:

I generally find that people who say things like this:

With a former PC, I had to have my hard drive wiped clean and formatted -- several times -- after catching nasty viruses.

...are just Trouble Incarnate looking for a computer to happen on. A PC user who doesn't have the common sense to not open foreign emails (and stay off those pr0n sites!) is going to have problems with any computer.

In fact, I suspect this man emits a Pauli field, and that's all there is to it. People like that will never have an easy time in today's hi-tech world. I almost feel sorry for him...

I realized it was time to unload the silvery box of frustration when I had to buy a "Dummies" book on how to operate it. [...] Doing a simple screen capture was an immense chore.

No, wait. No I don't. Someone who can't look up "screenshot" in the Index is obviously over-rating their own intelligence.

Probably the best thing in the article was his opinion on the mouse. Funny thing, my single click mouse is still in the plastic bag it came in. I unboxed my iMac and plugged a 2 button/scroll wheel mouse in right away. I guess I should feel really good about myself that I had the know-how to make such a critical decision so early on. lol

From the trouble he had printing, to doing screen shots and the criticism of finder, it's obvious, like was already stated, he was not ready for the learning curve of a new platform.

Then to go on and on about how poorly ported software works, well maybe poor is a harsh word, more like how the program didn't look and work EXACTLY like it's window's couterpart. I guess he didn't think of buying a word processor from a company other than Microsoft. lol

Jim

The one thing he _got_ me thinking about is how the term "Finder" for the desktop-application is simply still wrong, even after 22 years of Macs. He obviously meant Spotlight where he wrote "Finder" at least once. I think Apple should _really_ "find" a new name for Finder.app in Mac OS Eleven. (And fix the app itself as well, of course, by then...) ;)

Somebody needs to consult this guy. His ignorance is hurting me physically.

The bit about Safari not handling flash and moving to IE 5 really hit me hard. Just how ignorant can one become? Even on a PC you have to go to macromedia.com and download the latest flash player...

I think somebody mentioned earlier that somebody who doesn't have the sense to just look up "screenshot" in the Help application is a bit goulish. How 'bout Command+Shift+3, or 4? Just stupid.

I don't even know how he managed to discover that Mail and iChat don't work with anything but dotmac. I mean, when you start iChat for the first time, it's just right there, in a pull-down menu. And with Mail, to think you have to have a dotmac account would be stopping at the first screen when you start it up for the first time. Ignorance.

Some people switching from windows expect OS X to be windows without the viruses. It's much more than that though. Once they see that they can no longer run their favorite Microsoft web-browser, or that there is no start menu, or they notice that the UI is different from Windows.. they freeze up. They're out of their comfort zone. They're used to being pros at using PCs, and now, all the sudden, they have to learn how to use an OS, all over again. Windows has worked for them, and therefore, if one thing doesn't work on a Mac that worked on a PC.. OS X is inferior to windows, in their mind.

Some people switching from windows expect OS X to be windows without the viruses. It's much more than that though. Once they see that they can no longer run their favorite Microsoft web-browser, or that there is no start menu, or they notice that the UI is different from Windows.. they freeze up. They're out of their comfort zone. They're used to being pros at using PCs, and now, all the sudden, they have to learn how to use an OS, all over again. Windows has worked for them, and therefore, if one thing doesn't work on a Mac that worked on a PC.. OS X is inferior to windows, in their mind.

True, but this is why there are Apple Stores....for people to test them with a knowledgable personnel at their beckon call (for the most part :p). Surely he wouldn't buy a car without first test driving it, right? But he would go ahead through word of mouth only and spend all of that money on a Mac that he had no knowledge about? Again, I'm surprised this guy passed the bar (if he is actually a real person...I have to wonder....sounds too much like a troll).

Again, I'm surprised this guy passed the bar (if he is actually a real person...I have to wonder....sounds too much like a troll).

I was thinking the same thing. The guy sure does sound a little bit too stupid to be a real human being.

Back