Grey Screen Spinning wheel

EmeryX

Registered
I have a Power Mac G5 with 1 G of memory. I used it last week and it was fine. I turned it on today and it just stays at the spinning wheel and the grey background. I've tried everything- Disc with command C- safe mode, single user mode, verbose, and nothing works. Please help. i really appreciate it.
Peace

Sounds like the hard drive went south. Also are you saying it won't boot from it's install disk or a retail version of OS X?

Thanks for the replies. How do I reset the pram, smc or memory? Yes, when I try to use the disc utility-not the original instal disc, Also when I try to start it I get the start up sounds and everything else, then goes to the circle and just hangs.

ok here goes.
1 reseat the memory. You need to open the case on the side and take out the RAM and put it back again. Some they use a pencil eraser to rub off the gold part of the memory(Im not sure what it does but hey it works for some)
2. after reseating the memory, disconnect all cables including the power cord and make sure the power button is not pressed at this time for 15 seconds. Doing so, your resetting the System management controller(SMC)
3. Turn on the power button then immediately press option+command+R+P and release it after the 3rd chime(Gong sound).
4. After the 3rd chime, release then immediately press shift to go into safe mode

IF successful delete login items. Go to account inside system preferences and delete all the login items. Go to library>startup items. Worst comes to worst you may need to do an erase and install

insert the Original OS X CD 1. Turn on the machine and immediately press C

Thanks man. I ran FSCk last night and it said the volume is ok. Very strange. i appreciate your help. I don't have the original install disc-lost it in a move, so I guess I'll bring it to the Apple store where I bought it.

One other thing. I started my comp. last night with the option button down. The screen showed an icon of my HD, but not of the utilities disc that came with my G5.

Back