Hacking the sound-level icon

tigrr

Registered
I'd like to change the speaker audio-level icon (the one in the menu-bar which looks like a speaker) so that when it's turned off I have a red "prohibited" sort of sign over it.
I assume that since there a 4 different levels displayed there are also 4 different image files, so I could simply just edit the one indication zero level, but where are the images located, and is there something I should keep in mind before I start "hacking" away?

The 'audio-level icon' also known as the 'volume' menu bar icon is provided via 'Volume.menu' at '/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/'.

Do a right button ('<control>' if single button mouse) click on 'Volume.menu', and select the 'Show Package Contents' menu item. A window 'Volume.menu' will appear, with a 'Contents' folder. Navigate to and open the 'Resources' folder (within the 'Contents' folder ... of 'Volume.menu').

Within the 'Resources' folder are the icon's respective '.tif' files.

---

My suggestions:
Perform the above steps - logged in as 'root'.
Make a copy / copies of any '.tif' file - you plan to edit / replace.

Oh cool, is it possible then to use the new volume icons from Leopards Front Row as the default volume icons?
If so can you point me to where these icons are stored?

I've been working hard preparing a bunch of new "mute" icons and want to share that with anyone interested. The icons have all been placed into "Volume.menu" files, so it's just a matter of dragging one of them over to the existing one inside MacOS.

Here are the icon variations that I've made (the first one is the original/unedited icon shown here for comparison). You may choose to install one of them.
Out of all the different sound levels I've just edited the mute icon. The others will look like they have always done.

muteiconsij2.png

The enclosed a zip file contains everything you need including easy-to-follow instructions.
Tell me what you think.

Attachments

• Sound mute icon replacements.zip
    748.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
You're welcome :)

To further complete the project it would be nice to edit the "icon" that pops up on top of the desktop (or whatever application you're running at the time) whenever you press the keyboard's F3 (mute), F4 (decrease the sound level) and F5 (increase the sound level) keys.
Where are those icons located?

Yes, thank you tigrr. It's small things like this that make people think, "Hm, maybe I won't kill myself after all..."

:) lol.

Glad to hear it.
Though I hope you're not serious about that suicide thing :eek:

Not quite being happy with my icons I added a few new ones, this time with a red "X" over them, giving some additional choices. I've enclosed the complete archive here, with the new icons, a new readme, and a new filename (to avoid any confusion with the old one). Enjoy!

Here's a screenshot of all my icons:

overviewsp7.png

Attachments

• Sound mute icon replacements 2.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Back