Had screen fixed on my IMac G5, now CDs won't load and Ethernet port won't work

teneight68

Registered
Hello, I'm pretty new to this forum, having purchased an IMac G5 20" last fall. I've searched for an answer to my problem prior to posting, but can't find any postings relating to my specific issues. Hopefully someone can help!

Just prior to Christmas, a vertical pixel line appeared on the left side of my beautiful 20" screen. Obviously, I was upset since the computer was new, but I know these things happen. I called the Apple Store where I bought the G5 and they said they could fix it (hardware issue under warranty) or I could take it to an authorized repair store near me. I opted to take it to the store nearest me, and that was a mistake. They completed the warranty work as needed (replaced logic board and LCD screen), but when I got the computer back there were a couple issues. The first issue: they scractched my previously immaculate computer. They wouldn't do anything about it, either. But that's not the reason I'm posting...

The second issue: although the screen problem was fixed, there are now two new problems (1) the slot loading CD/DVD drive no longer sucks in discs like it should, and (2) the ethernet port no longer reads my ethernet cable, which is connected to my cable modem (all connections are good and the modem is functioning, but not showing any PC activity/connection to my G5).

I haven't found any other issues as of yet, but I'm wondering if anyone can make sense of this. Aside from the the bad screen, the computer was fine prior to the repair. I assume the replacement of the logic board somehow caused these new issues, but perhaps someone with more knowledge could explain it to me.

Those are strange problems that shouldn't happen to a repaired computer. I'm assuming that the computer is still under warranty, so I'd head straight back to the place that "fixed" it and explain exactly what you explained here. Fixing the monitor, but getting the computer back with an obviously non-functional optical drive as well as a non-functional ethernet port is unacceptable. You should always get the computer back in "as good as" or better shape than you took it in, and you did not receive that level of service.

I'd also voice my complaints about the scratching issue -- if you take your automobile in for an oil change, you'd better believe they're not going to scratch the paint. Same goes for any merchandise -- the outward appearance of the merchandise shouldn't change due to warranty work. If they scratched it, they scratched it, and I would express my utmost displeasure with that when you take it back there.

If that particular place can't be of assistance, I would call Apple directly and speak with a customer service representative, especially emphasizing the experience you had with your "authorized" repair shop.

I don't think there's anything you can do about these issues yourself, without the assistance of a repair center.

I did make a stink about the scratches when I picked up the computer, but they claimed that they do their repairs on a pad and that it was IMPOSSIBLE they caused the damage. They tried to claim that the computers come from Apple that way, or that it was that way when I brought it in. I know for a fact that neither of those were true because I took it out of the box when I brought it home new, and I packed it back in the box to take it to the shop. They just wouldn't do anything about it.

I did try to find a phone number to notify Apple of their "Authorized" repair shop and my displeasure with their service, but their website must hide phone numbers because any service-related link connected me back to another webpage with no phone contact options.

I do plan on taking the computer back, but hopefully I can take it to the Apple store when I explain the circumstances to them. I would hate to take it back to the jerks that I dealt with at thhe other shop.

All that aside, does anyone know if the logic board has any connection to the optical drive and/or the ethernet port? I'm trying to prove a causal relationship since they stopped working after the repairs were made. that way I don't get jerked around when I take it back in. You know how warranty work goes...

The ethernet port is directly connected to the logic board, so it's highly likely that the logic board swap had something to do with that.

Also, the CD/DVD drive has a ribbon cable that connects to the logic board, so if that ribbon cable somehow came loose, that would explain the lack of functionality.

Here is a list of Apple phone numbers that you can pick through to try and find one that may help:

http://www.apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html

I understand your displeasure with the scratches -- same thing happened with my iPod. I sent it off to Apple for a hold-switch problem, and it came back pretty scratched up... some scratches were there when I sent it off, but there were even more (and some pretty bad ones) when I got it back.

Thanks for your replies... I intend to take the computer back this week. Apparently their repair work is guaranteed for 90 days, so they will fix whatever problems they caused. Hopefully there won't be new problems when I get it back... I may take it to the Apple store to avoid the same people working on it again.

I realize that it may be hard to take a picture of your iMac and show, with any detail, the amount of scratches currently present on the machine... but it may come in handy if you get it back and there's even more scratches. That way, it would be simple to whip out a dated picture of the physical appearance of the machine in the state it was in immediately before being brought in for service, if you happen to get the iMac back in even worse condition.

I would complain about the problems and the scratch! Have them replace the case! I asked about it when I took mine in and they said that if they were to scratch it they would replace and fix it! I would ask to speak to the manager if that bothers you.

Yeah, it bothers me, but the manager was who I talked to and he's the one who refused to do anything about it, claiming it was that way when I brought it in. I intend to notify Apple of that company's service and maybe they will take them off their "authorized repair" list.

Back