Handoff - Are You Supported?

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
Well, I was super excited about the Handoff feature until I realized every single Mac in my house, which there are around 5 of them, are prior to 2012. My newest model is late 2011. So, I don't get to use the HandOff feature with the upcoming Yosmite.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I won’t be able to use it either since my machines are pre 2012. But then, thinking about it, I don’t see a need for me to have it anyway.

I think I kind of will like that feature.
Yet some apps like Skype do stuff like it already. So when someone calls, I get the notification on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
And for once all my toys are quite new (well, the iPhone 5S is a hand-me-down from my other half, I can live with that).
Let's see how well that'll work - I'm still not sure I like all the notifications popping up everywhere - especially when I'm writing or researching something that needs full concentration.

Well, I was super excited about the Handoff feature until I realized every single Mac in my house, which there are around 5 of them, are prior to 2012. My newest model is late 2011. So, I don't get to use the HandOff feature with the upcoming Yosmite.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Scott a friend pointed me to this thread to get Handoff hacks for the 2011 MBR, if you have one.

My machine doesn't have the correct wireless card for the hack to work.

The good news is that I am able to see incoming calls on my MacBook and able to send SMS relay w/o having the correct wireless card or handoff support. That was the most important feature I wanted. However, before I realized this was actually working (with the iOS 8.1 update) I placed an order for a $18 upgraded replacement card and with any luck, with the continuity tool above and the new card, I will have handoff working as well. Thanks for the link!

hey, I would like to share my experience of enjoying the feature of making and taking calls between Mac and iPhone. Although I have iPhone5C and Macbook Pro. I made few settings in Mac and iPhone (Settings> Face Time> Preferences> iPhone Cellular Calls). In Mac, I checked the option of 'FaceTime' HD Camera by navigating through Video menu bar.

My machine doesn't have the correct wireless card for the hack to work.

The good news is that I am able to see incoming calls on my MacBook and able to send SMS relay w/o having the correct wireless card or handoff support. That was the most important feature I wanted. However, before I realized this was actually working (with the iOS 8.1 update) I placed an order for a $18 upgraded replacement card and with any luck, with the continuity tool above and the new card, I will have handoff working as well. Thanks for the link!

How did the replacement procedure go?

Well, I was little scared before installing OS X Yosemite on my Macbook Pro. But after keeping an eye on other Yosemite issues posts and experienced Tech savvies ideas for a long time, Now I got an ability to install Yosemite. I also tried making and taking calls in between my Mac and iPhone6. I made few settings in both devices and finally I am able to take any call from my Macbook Pro. By navigating through FaceTime app, I flipped the option 'iPhone Cellular Calls in my iPhone. on the other side, in mac, I checked this option "FaceTime' HD Camera'" in Video menu bar.

Back