Happy Birthday Mac OS X!

rhale1

KU Mac Geek
It was just 2 years ago today. :D

Anyone here remember 10.0 4k78? How about the Public Beta (or Alpha, rather:)).

So, post experiences, pics, whatever to celebrate OSX's second birthday.

(Fryke, If this is in an odd forum, could you please move it to someplace more appropriate. Thanks.)

Ah, yes... 4k78... Remember when the net was abuzz with the disappointment of 4k78 being declared the GM? Remember the slow as molasses application startup times, and the unresponsive finder? It actually seems longer than 2 years, since the OS has come so far in that time...

Yeah, everyone was up in arms over the speed (or lack of it). I remember when I installed it, it took nearly all night to set it all up.

10.04. It does seem like longer than two years. I remember AOL not being available, or RealPlayer. Internet Explorer was still listed as a preview version. iTunes in 10.04 took FOREVER to burn a cd. Still, the voice called me. I would leave OS X, and go back into OS 9, but I would find myself being pulled back more and more.

You've come a long way, baby! :)

And I can't wait for Panther! I'll be there.

I just hope I can sleep this time the night before it is released haha.. ;)

Happy Birthday OS X with love! :)

I myself don't, but check google or probably some others have one. I had to partition my drive several times, and lost some stuff.

Anyone has a 10.0 Alpha screenshot ?

Well, there was never an "official" alpha release. Many refer to the Public Beta as a "alpha" release, while 4k78, or Mac OS X 10.0 is widely considered to be of "beta" quality.

In Apple's eyes, their "alpha" releases were the "developer previews". Apple released 4 of these to developers over the course of OS X's development.

DP3 (or developer preview 3) was the first developer release to feature the redesigned Aqua look and feel (DP2 featured a platinum like look). Many of the original Aqua features have long since been removed...

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/macos-x-dp3/macos-x-dp3-5.html

Notice the Apple logo in the middle of the menu bar? That was removed by the first release. The purple widget on the right hand side of windowpanes, aka as "single user mode" was removed before the Public Beta was even released.

If you want to see what DP4 looked like, ARSTechnica did a really in depth story on it...

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/2q00/macos-x-dp4/macos-x-dp4-7.html

I was there, the 24th... :)

It would be cool if i could get my hands on OS X DP1/2/3/4 and install it, just to see how it works... :)

Anyway, congrats X. :)

woah! the dock really didn't have the transparent background at first? Did it really look that Nasty? woah! i've only used X, since 10.0. I feel like Sucha newbie! lol

Neyo

...and i've spent less than a "few" hrs in OS 9 / Classic

I think I can help with our trip down memory lane...

Pre-Mac OS X operating systems:

Rhapsody, in this case Rhapsody 5.1, the second developer release.

Attachments

• rhapsody51-dr2.jpg
    rhapsody51-dr2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 60
Apple did finally release Rhapsody to the public, but renamed it Mac OS X Server so it would be associated with the newer project. This image is of the last version Apple released, Rhapsody 5.6 (aka Mac OS X Server 1.2).

Attachments

• rhapsodt56-osxserver12.jpg
    rhapsodt56-osxserver12.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 52
Mac OS X pre-releases

Mac OS X Developer Preview 2. This is the earliest version of Mac OS X that I've seen. At this point the Finder isn't finished so it has both a Finder and Workspace Manager.

Aqua would be added to this major release internally at Apple and would be called Mac OS X DP 2.6. This was the version displayed on stage to introduce Aqua. In both DP 2.6 and DP 3, Aqua was still pretty much a theme on top of Platinum.

Attachments

• macosxdp2.jpg
    macosxdp2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 53
Mac OS X Developer Preview 3 was the first chance that anyone outside of Apple had to play with the Aqua interface. As can be seen, the Dock (dropped after Rhapsody 5.0, the first developer release) has returned.

Attachments

• macosxdp3-desktop.jpg
    macosxdp3-desktop.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 52
Mac OS X Developer Preview 4 was (in my opinion) the first usable release of Mac OS X. It had some bugs, but was still a good OS. The Dock has started to take on the appearance that it would keep through the final release.

Attachments

• macosxdp4-desktop.jpg
    macosxdp4-desktop.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 52
One of Apple's secret applications (at least early on) was TextEdit. Even in the DP 4 version it was able to do many of the things it can do today.

Attachments

• macosxdp4-textedit.jpg
    macosxdp4-textedit.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 51
Okay, small plug for some great software: Andrew Stone's Create. I have had this on every installation of NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and Mac OS X I've owned.

This image is Create running in Mac OS X DP 4.

Attachments

• macosxdp4-create.jpg
    macosxdp4-create.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 49
And last we come to Mac OS X Public Beta. Strangely a number of little things seem to be missing from this release that were part of DP 4 and would return in 10.0. Still, it was more stable and had less bugs then the DP releases (which may have been what Apple was looking for more then providing a feature set).

Attachments

• macosxpb-desktop.jpg
    macosxpb-desktop.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Racer! I do like looking at OS X as it evolved from NextStep to Rhapsody to OS X Server to the DPs to... well you get the point. I still think the the Rhapsody interface (the darker platinum) is great. Rhapsodized (http://homepage.mac.com/max_08) is great, but I wish Apple would put a Rhapsody-style theme into OS X for those of us who get tired of Aqua Blue and Graphite.

wow! that's awesome!
i almost downloaded rhapsody5.1 from [i don't know(starts with c)], but then thought better of it. I don't think any servers have it anymore though. It must've been pretty unstable though, with no apps for it too.

I have 5.1 for Intel in VPC, and it runs slowly and without internet. But, it still is nice to see how the Mac OS we were used to integrated into what we now know as the core of Mac OS X.

On a side note: I hope Panther brings evern more stuff to the stage, but that is for another topic :D!

Back