Happy Mac on startup, then restart

macman2039

Registered
I have the os x cd, a pure copy from the original. i tried to startup from it, but it would just show the disk with the questionmark, then a happy mac, then it would restart. Sometimes, it would display a white screen with the repeating text "no bootable HFS partition" or "can't OPEN:" anyone know what's wrong?

Originally posted by macman2039
I have the os x cd, a pure copy from the original."no bootable HFS partition" or "can't OPEN:" anyone know what's wrong?

The copy is simply not good. The CD probably cannot find a blessed system folder. It is best to use toast as your burn application. For the rest i don't know much on burning.

I assume the disk is for personal use only so why do you not use your original disk ;)

DJ

My Mac does exactly the same thing as yours and I've got the original CD to install with. You're not alone with this.

---------------------------
Beige G3/266Mhz -> 300Mhz
128MB RAM
2x4GB HDs (both IDE and on separate buses)
Original Rage Pro graphics chipset
Rev B ROM
MacOS 8.1

I think that there is not way to start really from the CD but if you launch the installation script you can install and start with your OsX CD

Originally posted by macman2039
nope, doesn't work, either

Sorry guys, but i've tried everything I could to get it to run on a Beige G3, and it just won't install. I know quite a bit about the machines, and no liuck, so I gave up. I'm now just waiting for Apples next move, hopefully they will release a patch or update of some sort that will fix this problem. I know a lot of people sent them reports of the problem.

Well...
My configuration is:
PwMac 7500/400 G3
176 MB Ram
USB 12 Mb pci card
Quantum SCSI2 Hd 2GB
IBM SCSI2 9 GB
Plextor U40TX CDrom*
Yamaha 4/4/16 CD recorder (external SCSI)
Ati Rage128 PCI graphic card.*
Macintosh internal 2MB Video Chip
Macintosh AV card with RCA Audio I/O and Video in.
Mitsubishi diamondtron 720 pro 17"
I cannot start MacOS X with the selected things because:
1> MacOS X is only a beta
2> MacOS X does not support two or more graphics cards.
3> MacOS X only works with MacOS compatibles devices.
4> I love? Apple but apple does not loves their users.
Bye.

4> I love? Apple but apple does not loves their users.
Bye.

Relax, it's just a beta. It's ony for testing, not personal use yet. The shipping version will be much more compatable. There are plenty of issues that I learned of after making my post. For instance if you drive is a IDE, and it is bigger than 8GB you need to make a partition that is less than 8GB, and make sure it's the master drive , not a slave. If you are using SCSI, which I am, you have to make sure it is terminated correctly. I use SoftRAID, so that is one of my problems, and I'm also using a DVD personality card, which was rare on the Beige G3. If you guys are still having problems, there is a good article on how to get OS X up and running in Mac Addict Magazine this month. Get a copy and give it a whirl, and see if you still can't get it to work. Most importantly try to remeber that it's just a beta, and beta's are not for every day use, they're just for testing.

I can install MacOS X into my computer, but...
Only with internal video (I have a 7500 machine)
and the original CD device.
Today I discovered in Newertech's page the real solution for the 2nd Level Cache in G3 procesors upgrades.
There is a driver for MacOS X (http://www.newertech.com or http://www.newertech.com/software/softwarereg.html):-)
but I think that it's only for MaxPWR users. :-/
Well...
I also have a little trouble with MacOS X: there is not sound output in my machine... sniff!!!
I haven't Internet conexion because "X" don't recognizes
my serial ports and finally I cannot use with my printer.
Oh god!

I know, of course, that it's only a beta but I payd for this to have a minimal response.
I want to use my Apple machine with this "OS" because I love this way of life, but I am a musicien and I'm worryed
because my computer is too old. I need sound outputs.

I hope, from Apple all the solutions for ours MAComputers.

Back