Hard disk in Bay 2 not found

Tinpusher

Registered
I have had my Mac Pro unplugged for about a week or so whilst I did some building work. Plugged it back in today, and it's not finding the hard disk in Bay 2.

Bay 1 contains the factory supplied 300 GB drive. Bay 2 and 3 each contain a 1TB drive, which I had set up as a RAID.

Disk Utility is finding the 1TB drive in Bay 3 (and is correctly telling me that it's a RAID slice), but not the one in Bay 2. I have checked the physical connection, and that appears to be fine.

What am I missing?

A failed hard drive, perhaps? Or a failed SATA port?

What happens if you remove all drives and only leave the affected drive connected, boot from the OS X Restore DVD, and load Disk Utility -- does it see it then? What happens if you move that hard drive to another bay?

Thanks for the reply- and sorry for taking a while to get back. I've been away with work, and I've only just this weekend had a chance to try those out.

I don't believe it's a failed SATA port- I tried the HDD in Bay 3, and it was still not found. Likewise I tried the Bay 3 drive in Bay 2, and it worked. I actually tried most combinations, and found that the Bay 2 drive was still not detected in Disk Utility.

So I then tried that last suggestion (thank you), and Disk Utility still did not find the Bay 2 HDD (whichever port it was in). This leads me to conclude that there is something on the HDD that has failed.

How do I find out what has failed, and how might I be able to repair it? And if it is a failed HDD, what options are there of recovering the data?

Back