hard drive doesn't ?mount

iguy1

Registered
Hi
flat panel iMac 10.4.11- recently would not wake up from sleep. Had to power off (got the beachball). Anyway, ran disk utility to verify the disc and it found overlapping allocations which it could not repair. put in the cd and booted from it and still could not fix. then i ran disc warrior which could apparently fix it but not "enough room" on my hard drive to put in a ?new directory- but I allowed it to install "a fix" over my old directory. then back to disk utility- the internal hard drive is not showing up in the sense that to verify or repair- it is greyed out. tried to transfer from my computer to my other mac (networked) using public folder/drop box and the hard drive is also greyed out (even though my safety account showed up- but even with the alternate boot up verify on the problem machine is still greyed out). amazingly, everything else is working fine on the machine. no doubt, i compounded whatever problem by my gymnastics with diskwarrior. I am transferring stuff to an external hard drive manually to try to free up some room- but I have no idea what to do. problem seems to coincide time wise with a download of a trial shareware program- but the author seems to feel (of course) no possible connection. Thanks to all

Mike

If you have another Mac near by you might be able to tell if that iMacs hard drive went south with a simple Firewire Target disk mode procedure. This way you can tell if the iMac's internal hard drive will mount on your other Mac. If it doesn't, then you know the hard drive took a dive.

Back