Hard Drive Error - Missing Volume!

Flyman

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I have a 150gb Raptor running Windows XP on my MacPro and unfortunately it'll no longer mount on the desktop.

When tested with TechTool Pro and Drive Genius, the drive is recognised but in both instances the volume didn't show.
Exactly the same happened with Disk Utility and the System Profiler.

I've spoken with Apple and their recomendation is to re-initialise the drive which I really don't want to do as stupidly I dont have a back-up

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

This is a totally separate drive with Windows XP installed via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro and not a Macbook.

You have four drive bays on the Mac Pro. Try a different drive bay to make sure its not the SATA connection on that particular bay. Very small chance but you never know. Otherwise yout going to have to look into some data racovery software, specifically something that runs on OSX but will scan and support FAT32/NTFS file systems. I know I've heard of one before but can't remember any names right now.

I've already tried putting the drive in a mates MacPro but still cant read it.
If you think of that software please let me know.

Next time use something like winClone. Have you tried to boot the drive with the XP disk to try to repair that Windows startup disk?

Back