Hard drive upgrade

Bluesman

Registered
Hi,

I have an old G3 which i use for my college work only. The only software i run Microsoft Word and Firefox. I did put Mac OSX on it though cause it;s just kickass software. It's slow, but it works good enough for what i use it for.

The origional hard drive (5 gb) recently began to make an annoying whine sound. My PC died a week ago but it had a relatively new 30GB hard drive in it that's still perfectly fine. Is it possible to put the exact image of the HD that's currently in my G3 on the new HD? I am really happy with my current install and the programs on it so it would suck to re-install everything. I have my mac hooked up on a network with a PC.

Also, i would like to devide the 30GB drive up in partitions so i can also put OS9 on it and maybe Linux to play around with. Is this also possible if i want the image from the other drive on it as i described above?

Thanks.

'Is it possible to put the exact image of the HD that's currently in my G3 on the new HD?' - yes.

'Also, i would like ... 30GB drive ... in partitions so i can also put OS9 on it ... Is this also possible if i want the image from the other drive on it as i described above?' - yes, (disregarding the 'Linux' portion); however, there is no (real) need to install 'System 9.x' onto a separate partition.

You should describe which G3 Mac you have. An older G3 (beige, or the first iMacs with a tray-loading CD), has special requirements for an OS X partition.
A 30 GB hard drive will need to be partitioned into more than one partition. Other partitions can be any size, but the OS X booting system must be installed on the first partition, and that first partition must be smaller than 8 GB.
Come back here if you have questions about that...

You're going to need either a Firewire enclosure or a USB enclosure to hook up to the Mac (firewire preferred). If you extract the 30 GB from the PC, you can insert it into the enclosure and connect to the Mac. Boot the Mac up into OS X. Once you've connected the 30 GB to the Mac, open Disk Utility and format the 30 GB as Mac OS Extended (journalled). Download Carbon Copy Cloner. Quit out of all programs (except the Finder). Open Carbon Copy Cloner. Open CCC's prefs and make sure the "Make bootable" box is checked. Clone your Mac HD over to the 30 GB drive. Once cloning is complete, move the 30 GB into the iMac.

The fact that your 6 GB iMac HD is making noise should concern you. It's probably going to fail soon and you should act now to ensure that you have a working computer and preserve your data.

'Is it possible to put the exact image of the HD that's currently in my G3 on the new HD?' - yes.
'Also, i would like ... 30GB drive ... in partitions so i can also put OS9 on it ... Is this also possible if i want the image from the other drive on it as i described above?' - yes, (disregarding the 'Linux' portion); however, there is no (real) need to install 'System 9.x' onto a separate partition.

Alright.

You should describe which G3 Mac you have. An older G3 (beige, or the first iMacs with a tray-loading CD), has special requirements for an OS X partition.A 30 GB hard drive will need to be partitioned into more than one partition. Other partitions can be any size, but the OS X booting system must be installed on the first partition, and that first partition must be smaller than 8 GB.Come back here if you have questions about that...

It's the green one. It has 233mhz. I think it's one of the first generation imacs.

You're going to need either a Firewire enclosure or a USB enclosure to hook up to the Mac (firewire preferred). If you extract the 30 GB from the PC, you can insert it into the enclosure and connect to the Mac. Boot the Mac up into OS X. Once you've connected the 30 GB to the Mac, open Disk Utility and format the 30 GB as Mac OS Extended (journalled). Download Carbon Copy Cloner. Quit out of all programs (except the Finder). Open Carbon Copy Cloner. Open CCC's prefs and make sure the "Make bootable" box is checked. Clone your Mac HD over to the 30 GB drive. Once cloning is complete, move the 30 GB into the iMac.

The fact that your 6 GB iMac HD is making noise should concern you. It's probably going to fail soon and you should act now to ensure that you have a working computer and preserve your data.

Many thanks for this reply.

I don't have a USB enclosure, is it really impossible without one? Cause i have a network with a PC on it, and i can swap and format drives in there too. If that's out of the option, is this what you mean with "USB Enclosure"?

Back