Hard freezes after Fastmac cpu upgrade

weknowjack

Registered
I recently upgraded my G4 AGP Quicksilver 2002 800mhz machine with a Fastmac 1.46GB processor upgrade. Since then, I have been experiencing hard freezes during mouse activity using Photoshop CS, InDesign CS and Freehand 10 on my OS X 10.4.5 system. Profiler has correct info. Boots fine. Works for awhile, then freezes and Command+Opt+ESC does nothing. Can anyone suggest why? I called Fastmac and they want me to reinstall the old processor to see if it still occurs. Then, call them back. Say it is not a known issue. Haven't done it yet. Pain. Is there anything else first?

Did you make any other changes to your hardware, in addition to swapping to the new processor?
Such as:
adding or replacing memory?
Adding/changing any PCI cards?
Adding/replacing hard drives.
Any hardware changes other than the processor, or new external devices at the same time as the processor upgrade?

If you can answer no to all the above, then the only real change is the processor. As you have seen, it is simple to replace, so try putting the old processor back in, and use it for a while to make sure that no problem exists when that processor is used.

One more question - Is this really a hard freeze - which means that the clock on your menu bar also does not update? If your clock does update, have you tried simply reseating the USB connector for your keyboard - and eliminated the keyboard as the problem?

Back