"Hardware" icon on Panther control panel

Shotokan

Registered
A buddy of mine who also just got a G5 had this icon show up in his System Preferences 'other' pane the other day. Does anyone know how to enable this feature? He doesn't know what he did.

Attachments

• Picture 4.pdf
    27 KB · Views: 35
  • Picture 5.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 29
Whoa! That is strange and intriguing, and I wish I had that preference pane!

Seriously, I don't know what it is or where it came from. Has your friend installed any software lately? It looks like a genuine piece of Apple software, but I have no idea where it came from.

You can try searching for and deleting the file 'com.apple.preferencepanes.cache' and see if that gets rid of it. That's an old trick for getting rid of the problem of multiple preference panes showing up in the Preferences.

If you want to send me the G5, I'll check it out :)

I believe there's settings that you can change for the processor, maybe that's it. Do a find for PreferencePane and see if it's on your system.

Thats the funny thing: he says he didn't install any new software between the last time he opened his SysPrefs and when he noticed it, and this guy is a mac guru. Someone must know about this.

Mine was installed when I installed the developer's tools (xCode), I believe I read somewhere that this system preference is installed if you install CHUD.

Anyways, I have that system preference on both of my machines: 667 Powerbook, and MDD dual 1 Gig.

Update:

I just installed the XCode tools that came with Panther, including the CHUD tools and sure enough, now i have the Hardware pane. Thanks naodx.

Yeppers, it's part of CHUD. It's not much, anyway. It tells you your processor speed, bus speed, L1 cache, L2 cache (with the option to turn it off), and allows you to set an option called Nap for the processor - not sure exactly what that does, but I'm guessing that it lets the processor run at a slower speed when a high speed isn't needed. That's just a guess, though. ;)

I know the G5 already has regulations in place to slow down when you aren't gruelling away in Photoshop; Nap may be the way to control that.

Back