Hardware needed to connect dual 27" Cinema Displays to a 2007 MacPro?

freaky

OSXer
I have a 2007 MacPro and am going to get two 27" Cinema Displays. Since the new displays use mini displayports, they won't connect to my current graphics card.

What would be the best (while at the same time, considering price) route to go?

Do I need to buy Apple ATI Radeon 5770 @ around $250 or can I get away with buying an adapter that will connect to my current graphics card?

Why not just get two DVI displays, so you don't need to add extra adapters, or spend a lot of extra money on replacing graphics cards? There's a large number of choices in any large electronics retailer that should fit your needs without breaking your budget... Get 2 27-inch DVI for much less than one of the Apple Cinema display, and no connection hassles....

I've been using my 20" dual cinema displays for 4+ years and really like them. I know Apple's displays are insanely expensive compared to others, but as much as I use them (anywhere from 50-80 hours/week just for work) I don't mind spending the extra money.

I was just wondering what the best solution would be, but it seems as much as the adapters cost, it would just make more sense to buy a new graphics card.

Also, I should be able to run a third monitor that can display Windows via Parallels, which would eliminate the need for the standalone PC sitting under my desk.

Back