Hardware Requirements for 10.4

I can't really say, that last post is the system requirements straight out of the Read Me for the Tiger WWDC install DVD. The DVD requirement is the only one that might change between now and early 2005. I don't see Apple giving leverage beyond that.

The preview offered at the WWDC is not the final version and I'm sure the final version will have very different requirements.

I'm hoping that one requirement isn't an AGP card... it'd finally be time for me to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer machine... :(

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The preview offered at the WWDC is not the final version and I'm sure the final version will have very different requirements.

I'm hoping that one requirement isn't an AGP card... it'd finally be time for me to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer machine... :(
Here is the kicker, with both the Panther and Jaguar preview releases, the requirements did not change from the preview to the final. The final version will not have very different requirements, because that could easily re-focus development of the OS in a very negative way.

Rest assured, AGP cards aren't going to be a requirement just yet. (Maybe in 10.5)

I am so not looking forward to the day when Apple stops supporting the G4 processor. Having just bought a (very expensive compared to what I could have gotten with PC components) dual G4, I hope to all that is good and wholesome that at least the next 2 versions of OS X will still support it. $1000 every 2 years for typical PC hardware versus $2000 every 2 years for Mac hardware would send me right back to the PC.

I would be quite confident that your hardware will be good for at least another 5 years anyway.Of course this is just a guess! :D

My old 333Mhz G3 iMac runs Panther perfectly fine, and that was bought in 1999 (5+ years old). So I'd imagine that a dual G4 should be perfectly fine for 3-4 years, and probably more. Apple will be supporting the G4 for quite some time still because the portables won't get to see the G5 for a while.

You can install Tiger on machines without a DVD drive if you know how. However, it's not officially supported. Xserves run Mac OS X Server, not Client, and Apple might make a difference there when finalising the product (Tiger).
The DVD drive requirement is only a small thing, and you can get one if you've still got a CD-RW drive in your Mac. (Yes, even iBooks can have SuperDrives if you look around...) I guess the 'real' showstopper will be the FireWire requirement. I.e. it'll probably just not run on those early iBooks and iMacs without FW... (And btw.: Here's to those who said Tiger would not run on G3s back in the days...) :p

Krevinek said:
Here is the kicker, with both the Panther and Jaguar preview releases, the requirements did not change from the preview to the final. The final version will not have very different requirements, because that could easily re-focus development of the OS in a very negative way.

Rest assured, AGP cards aren't going to be a requirement just yet. (Maybe in 10.5)

That's too bad because WWDC Tiger's preview doesn't run on 12'' Powerbooks (I checked on my 867 and 1.33, I got unknown platform exception when trying to run install!

Back