has anyone tried the iTrip already?

Well, if you put iTrip on a frequency used by a local radio station, you'll get garbage. Better use an empty frequency.

Actually, the FCC allows pleanty of power to get from your dash (or trunk) to you antenna. Its not their fault. Also car sterios have the best recievers of any radio on the market so that is not the problem The problem is in the transmitter. FM radio is easily distorted my metal and magnents. Any big chunk of metal or electronics (such as your car) will distort your broadcast. Thats why your antenna is ourside your car. All the manufactures need to do is make an transmitter that can be plugged in and placed in the dash or stuck to the window closest to your Recieving antena.

Oh and by the way, in any metropolitan area there is NO UNUSED frequency. Every bit of it has something on it. You just need to have a clearer signal than they do. (I know this because i work at a radio station)

Originally posted by cogito
Oh and by the way, in any metropolitan area there is NO UNUSED frequency. Every bit of it has something on it. You just need to have a clearer signal than they do. (I know this because i work at a radio station)

true, like i said before.... even 88.1 / 88.5 FM has crap on it here in LA

Originally posted by solrac
true, like i said before.... even 88.1 / 88.5 FM has crap on it here in LA

my iRock would take over the station. I would think iTrip would too.

Twister

Question: is it illegal to manufacture AND distribute devices that operate with more power or is it also illegal with the do-it-yourself approach?
I wouldn't mind stopping by at Radio Shack to boost m iRock up.. hehe

Originally posted by twister
my iRock would take over the station. I would think iTrip would too.

Twister

Nope. iRock does not, and probably iTrip neither.

It tries to take it over but becomes a garbled mess of the transmitter and radio station combined.

I played with iTrip at MWSF 2003 for about an hour, experimenting with both range (about 25 feet) and different stations (some came in alot better than others). And even with the overpowering amout of frequency activities swirling around the expo floor (I couldn't get the Kensington Studio Mouse to work at all) the iTrip sounded GREAT. I went home and preordered one that night.

Will you all PLEASE stop saying my name?! :p

Sorry, i thought this was a thread about me. :) No really: that is AWSOME! Now all i need is an iPod and i can't give you my true opinion on the hardware.

Originally posted by solrac
Nope. iRock does not, and probably iTrip neither.

It tries to take it over but becomes a garbled mess of the transmitter and radio station combined.

Humm. Some days on my radio i get a wisconson public station. It's talk raido. BORING! But when i turn on my iRock it goes completly away. No more talk radio all iPod.

Twister

well, in LA, it's different. Somtimes the radio station will go away and tease you with clear iPod music... for a few minutes... at best

i think i'll buy one! there aren't many radiostation here in belgium, so i have a lot of choice to tune my iTrip in..

And it's not that expensive! I will preorder one soon!

The best way for tech-savvy people is to find the manual for your car stereo and take a look at the back of it to see if there are any free inputs. Then install two female RCA connectors on your dashboard, buy an RCA-minijack adaptor and whee :) Full quality sound from your iPod directly into the stereo :)

Originally posted by ksv
The best way for tech-savvy people is to find the manual for your car stereo and take a look at the back of it to see if there are any free inputs. Then install two female RCA connectors on your dashboard, buy an RCA-minijack adaptor and whee :) Full quality sound from your iPod directly into the stereo :)

Problem with that is that some of us [me] haven't a clue how to get to the back of the car radio and sure don't want to take the dash apart because we'd never figure out how to get it back together without ducktape. :eek:

Ok so you did say tech-savvy and read the manual but still. I'd love to do that just haven't a clue how. So i'll stick with the simple transmitters. Work good enough for me :)

Twister

When making your next car stereo purchase, look for a stereo with auxiliary input. I put an Mp3 compatible CD player (plays Mp3 encoded CD's) in my wife's car and just by dumb luck (and the fact that there were only 2 brands available at the time) I choose a model with an input port (8-mm) on the face. When I got my iPod I was delighted to learn it would plug right in. Since, I've noticed more and more brands of car stereos have auxiliary inputs on the face.

Originally posted by twister
Problem with that is that some of us [me] haven't a clue how to get to the back of the car radio and sure don't want to take the dash apart because we'd never figure out how to get it back together without ducktape. :eek:

Ok so you did say tech-savvy and read the manual but still. I'd love to do that just haven't a clue how. So i'll stick with the simple transmitters. Work good enough for me :)

Twister

The car radio can usually be removed with some special tools that should come with it. Read the manual :D
But as bigbadbill says, in case you should want to replace your car radio, look for one with auxillary input :)

i bought an iRock and it works okish!!! Here in the uk the frequencies are busy, but it seems to take over, when i bought the thing i drove a Toyota Yaris (Echo i think i's called in the states) and the stereo wasnt up to much, irock worked when it felt like it, and for some reason in worked better when certainsongs were played! Now i have a Seat Ibiza ( pronounced See-at) i dont know if they sell them in the states! and the stereo is better, and it seems to work with the irock SLIGHTLY better, i will definatley get an iTrip when they r avaliable cos of the powersupply,hate buying so many batteries for the iRock!

Back