hash key on mac book

Why not just use shift-3, as indicated on the keyboard?
Assuming this is a standard keyboard.

for me it's not shift +3 it's alt+3 (alt being sometimes refered to as the option key).

But maybe you have an old keyboard, in this case the '3' key has 3 and £ printed, newer keyboards have 3 and # printed, but shift + 3 gives £

Definitely not an old keyboard, it's my new unibody MBP.
I think this is a case of how what your "International Settings" are.
My system is set up for Canadian, and it works as it shows,
shift+3 = #
alt+3 = £

jb.

And... how about thinking about international keyboards? It might be Shift-3 for US american keyboards for all I know (I don't), it's certainly been option-3 on a Swiss German Mac keyboard for more than 15 years. But keyboards vary from language to language, from country to country. Keep that in mind.

And... how about thinking about international keyboards? It might be Shift-3 for US american keyboards for all I know (I don't), it's certainly been option-3 on a Swiss German Mac keyboard for more than 15 years. But keyboards vary from language to language, from country to country. Keep that in mind.

What part of...
"I think this is a case of how what your "International Settings" are."
didn't you understand?

In addition to the "International Settings" System Preference portion of Mac OS X (which is software-based support for internationalization), Apple also offers hardware-based support for internationalization in the form of different keyboards for different languages.

In the US, we have the option of selecting a US English keyboard, or a Spanish keyboard (for those close to Mexico, I assume?). The Spanish keyboard differs in that certain accent and language characters (what are those called, again?) are present on the keyboard and issue a different keyboard "code" to the operating system when pressed.

It stands to reason that UK English keyboards would have a pound sign instead of a dollar sign, among other subtle differences, and would be "similarly different" in other countries as well.

You can easily change the software-based international settings. You can't as easily change the hardware differences.

Since a lot of users are based out of the UK and a lot are US based, it stands to reason that one person's "shift-3" or "option-3" produces a different character than someone else's. This is partly due to the software- and partly due to the hardware-based internationalization.

jbarley, you're talking software. fryke's talking hardware.

I guess I loaded the thread before you answered, then. And answered later.

Back