Have 10.7 but need 10.6 to support older software sdk

kuroyume

Registered
I just purchased a new MacBook Pro with 10.7 Lion and installed Xcode 4 (as it is the only version 10.7 supports). But, to support older versions of the software that I develop for, I need 10.6 and Xcode 3.x as well. I understand that I can set up a dual boot for both OSs. That is not the problem. The problem is: Where the heck do I find a FULL install of 10.6 Snow Leopard? Can't be an upgrade since I'm not UPgrading. Capiche?

Appreciate any leads!

Robert

A full install of Snow Leopard?
That would be done in the usual way - with a Snow Leopard installer disk.
Purchase 10.6 from the online Apple Store.
In your particular case, installing on a new Mac...
You would install on an older Mac that can boot to the commercial 10.6.3 installer - your MacBook Pro will NOT...
So, install with an older Mac, using a partition on an external drive, or even a USB flash drive. Update with Software Update, until you have all current updates for a 10.6 system.
Then, create another partition on your internal hard drive, with enough space for a 10.6 system, estimating additional space that you might need for xcode3 and the other files that you might need to use, and restore the external partition to your new partition. And, all should be good.
OR - alternatively, boot from your external drive when you need to use the older Xcode, and leave your internal hard drive as it is now.

If you still have a system running 10.6 you could boot it in Target disk mode and try booting your new MBP from it just to see how well it works, then go from there.

Back