Having laptop work with screen down

zigxter

Registered
Hi,
I was wondering if there's a way I could have my iBook keep working (performing an operation) while the screen is closed.

thx.

depends on wether you're using a 2nd screen or not, and even if you do, you'd have to install the firmware-patch which makes double screns enabled(not only mirrored mode).

then you might wake up your iBook while the lid is down, using either a bluetooth-device or with your usb mouse/keyboard(?).

it isn't recommded, though, since the heat might cause damage to the screen etc if the cpu works with the lid down..

alex.

wow , thats something i never knew. im used to windows based laptops, my one PC Laptop 2.0ghz is a toshiba, and i use it for a desktop with my 19'' CRT, doesnt get that hott. but my 15'' HP gets extreamly hot 1.2ghz. Weird.

I've read that there is a physical hack that can give you the effect you want, but you'd have to crack open your iBook and remove (I think) a magnet in the keyboard palm rest that interacts with another one (again, I think) in the corer of the screen (lid). When you shut the screen, one magnet (or whatever they are) recognizes the other one and knows that you just closed the screen. It's similar to a model of desk phone that I work with, where the handset (the part you talk into) has a magnet that is recognized by the base (where the keypad is). When you "hang up", the two magnets see each other and the call disconnects. No moving parts like a normal phone. Anyway, I've read (but can't remember where - Google it) that the iBook works the same way.

As someone else has already stated, this is dangerous, however. You don't want your iBook working while the screen is closed, as the heat can damage the screen. I'm used to Windows notebooks for work as well, so I know what you mean about docking a notebook and working with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. You might not be able to do this with an iBook.

Actually it takes about 5 seconds to install the hack that allows you to run your iBook closed and it has nothing to do with taking the iBook apart. Yeah the magnet idea should work, but it's not worth the hassle required. It's a ton easier and simpler to install the video firmware hack, which also allows you to utilize screen spanning (which is turned off on iBooks, they only allow mirroring from the factory), larger resolutions on the external monitors, and this "clamshell mode". ((You do have the option of not tuning on the "clamshell mode" of the hack, but still using the spanning and larger resolutions.))

If you do a search you'll find a few messages in the forums about this, the most recent being just a couple weeks ago.

mdnky said:
Actually it takes about 5 seconds to install the hack that allows you to run your iBook closed and it has nothing to do with taking the iBook apart. Yeah the magnet idea should work, but it's not worth the hassle required. It's a ton easier and simpler to install the video firmware hack, which also allows you to utilize screen spanning (which is turned off on iBooks, they only allow mirroring from the factory), larger resolutions on the external monitors, and this "clamshell mode". ((You do have the option of not tuning on the "clamshell mode" of the hack, but still using the spanning and larger resolutions.))

If you do a search you'll find a few messages in the forums about this, the most recent being just a couple weeks ago.
Even if you don't want to be able to run your iBook with the screen closed, this hack you mention looks interesting for other purposes. Thanks for the info!

Here is some more information on the hack, with links to even more info:
http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/06/195218&mode=thread

dmetzcher said:
Even if you don't want to be able to run your iBook with the screen closed, this hack you mention looks interesting for other purposes. Thanks for the info!

Here is some more information on the hack, with links to even more info:
http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/06/195218&mode=thread
I used Screen Spanning Doctor earlier this evening with my iBook and had the screen split between the iBook and my 21" monitor within minutes. I don't think it could have been much easier. When Screen Spanning Doctor runs (looks like an AppleScript file saved as an app), it asks if you want to turn screen spanning on or off. After you choose, it will ask you if you want the iBook to stay on when you close the screen. I chose no for that, but the screen spanning is on now and works perfectly.

Back