having trouble since 10.3.5

jeffire

Registered
I'm wordering if anyone is, or has had this trouble since the 10.3.5 upgrade. right after the upgrade safari, itunes, and ichat would not start or quit, I was advised to reinstall 10.3 and then do the upgrade dance and all will be well again. however when I put the install disc in and hit the restart button the powerbook restarts and the disc ejects, I tried to restart holding the 'C' key down, and the same thing happens with the ejecting disc.

thanks in advance,
jeffire

Did you regularly boot into 10.3.5 and setup a new useraccount? Do you still have the same problems?

And welcome to the forum. ;-)

Before you reinstall anything - go to the utility folder and run Disk Utility to repair permissions. This is recommended after any major install - especially an update from Apple.

Zammy-Sam said:
Did you regularly boot into 10.3.5 and setup a new useraccount? Do you still have the same problems?

And welcome to the forum. ;-)

hey there, thanks for the welcome. the problem that I'm having, happened on the boot up from the 10.3.5 upgrade from 10.3.4. the problem still exists and I'm not able to boot up on the installer disc at all, it just ejects on the restart.

thanks-

Cheryl said:
Before you reinstall anything - go to the utility folder and run Disk Utility to repair permissions. This is recommended after any major install - especially an update from Apple.

I should have mentioned that I did run disk utilities and Onyx as well and repained the permissions, alas none of these things did the trick.

thanks-

Then try to use the the 10.3.5 Combined Update. The Combined update replaces the old file instead of just updating it, so you know you are getting the whole new product. This is why the Update looks so huge. Try to download it, then right after Repair Permissions. Then try to launch the affected programs. Good Luck.

Satcomer said:
Then try to use the the 10.3.5 Combined Update. The Combined update replaces the old file instead of just updating it, so you know you are getting the whole new product. This is why the Update looks so huge. Try to download it, then right after Repair Permissions. Then try to launch the affected programs. Good Luck.

ok I d/l ed the combo update and tried to install it 8 times, it get 86% through the install and then says that there is an error please try again. so after 8 times I figured that it just wasn't going to work. so there it is. thanks for the suggestion and if you have any others, feel free.....

Thanks-J

O.K. - something is really wrong. If you have access to a disk utility like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro then use it. Warning though, don't use a discontinued product. It will hurt OS X rather than help.

If you don't have a disk utility then take your OS X Panther Disk and boot from it and when the installer loads, go to the Finder File menu and launch Disk Utility & run Repair Disk then Repair Permissions. See if that helps.

Satcomer said:
If you don't have a disk utility then take your OS X Panther Disk and boot from it and when the installer loads, go to the Finder File menu and launch Disk Utility & run Repair Disk then Repair Permissions. See if that helps.

I had a very similar problem installing an update on my G4 a few months ago. This solved my problem. I booted from the Panther CD, ran Repair Disk and Repair Permissions from the installer, then rebooted and installed the Combined Update.

It worked great, and I had no more problems with any future updates.

Back