HD partitioning

rickd1010

Registered
I got the new HD in the 800mhtz Imac, but the guy that installed it said that he partitioned it for the OS. I have never heard of having to do this on a Mac. I have always just hit the "Go" button and put it on there. Will it cause any problems if it is truly partitioned?

Check how many partitions you have. Go to MacHD/Applications/Utilities and open up disk utility. Maybe he meant he partitioned it into GUID(intel) or APM(PPC w/c stands for Apple partition Map)then he set the number of partition to 1 so its the same thing as formatting the drive.

Partitioning is never too bad,depends really on your need and usage. Do you need to have the drive partitioned?

Unless you already know the benefits/drawbacks of partitioning, then I think the most user-friendly way to go is one, single partition.

Partitioning is, in a nutshell, a way to make one, physical hard drive appear to the user as multiple, physical hard drives. It helps to separate data for multiple purposes, and there are "power-user" type things you can do to a single partition when you have multiple partitions that you would have to do to the entire disk if you had a single partition setup.

It can be useful and "neat," but for the casual computer user, I don't recommend it. I recommend a single partition setup, and, if you're on Leopard, using Time Machine.

You can re-partition your drive into one, single partition (if, in fact, you find he partitioned it into multiple partitions) by booting from the Mac OS X Install/Restore CD/DVD and following these directions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh14.html

Those directions are for 10.4, but the important stuff that you do when you launch Disk Utility is very similar with Mac OS X 10.5.

Back