HD won't show on startup disk

gilbert65

Registered
I have an Imac 17" intel core duo 1.86 Gz, 512Mb ram. I put a new Hd because the other one died. When I go to disk utility I can see the HD. I formatted it as Macintosh HD and mounted it, however when i try to intall the OS using the original disks, it says "Software can't be installed on this computer". When i click on startup disk, the only thing i see there is the Mac OS DVD and Network start up, but no Hd at all. Some say maybe i don't have the original install disks but someone at the mac store said that the HD is not mounting and thats why the software can't be installed. Holding the Option Key at startup, only shows the Mac OS DVD. Am confuse why i can see the HD in disk Utility but in startup disk there is nothing. Thanks for your help!

Make sure you formatted the HD properly and make sure it is journaled.

I had the same problem with both an Ex and my Int-HD on my new computer--the drives were not journaled. A Guru and/or Gear-Head will have to explain why that matters, but once I did that Start Up Disk could see the drives, I could install the software, Nicole Kidman lifted that restraining order, et cetera.

--J.D.

however when i try to intall the OS using the original disks, it says "Software can't be installed on this computer".
This usually means that you're trying to use gray-colored "Restore" disks that are machine-specific, and not specific to your machine.

What Mac OS X Install CD/DVD are you using? What color is it? What version of OS X is it? What does it say, printed, on the front of the disk?

I guess the disks that i was using were not for my machine. Finally i realized that is possible to install Mac OS using the Leopard Upadate DVD. All is fine now and my Imac is running. Thanks all for your help.

Back