help, can't burn discs in OS X

headcoat

Registered
I'm trying to burn a disc image using Disk Copy on Panther - using a CD burner in an external firewire drive case. But I get the message

"could not find any suitable drives to burn discs"

This drive can read and copy from CD's just fine, and recognizes blank discs so it appropiately pops up Disk Copy.

But why can't I burn? Do I need some kind of driver? This burner has worked before on this computer with the previous owner.

I know this sounds silly, but is the external firewire drive powered up? It has to be in order for the system to recognize it.

Also, did the CD burner come in the case, and, if so, what brand is it -- and if not, then what brand is the case and what brand is the drive itself? There are some hacks around that will provide support for unsupported drives in OS X -- if we knew the specifics, perhaps we could find a suitable hack.

I apologize for answering a question with a question, but:

Hasn't the Jaguar(and Classic)Disk Copy been merged into the Panther over-the-top App 'Disk Utility'? It's a real pain to make an .dmg, but I believe it allows more control over settings(as well as selecting what drive you intend to use)...but if someone knows how to give me back my simple Disk Copy app in Panther, I'll be very grateful... :rolleyes:

mseydel said:
I apologize for answering a question with a question, but:

Hasn't the Jaguar(and Classic)Disk Copy been merged into the Panther over-the-top App 'Disk Utility'? It's a real pain to make an .dmg, but I believe it allows more control over settings(as well as selecting what drive you intend to use)...but if someone knows how to give me back my simple Disk Copy app in Panther, I'll be very grateful... :rolleyes:

You have a few options. In checking the MacUpDate web page..
http://www.macupdate.com/

DropDMG 2.2 - Quickly create .dmg archives.

There are more, but I am not sure what you are using the .dmg files for.

As for burning with OS X, you might want to check out Toast by Roxio.

Back