help!!!! cookies

zaze

Registered
how do i delete the cookies i don't want? my computer is slow so i thought
if i delete some i would have more room...... thanks

thanks bob, but i am a new computer person so i don't know what cocktail means.
can you be more specific as what i do, my computer keeps freezing up and i think
its because i need to delete some things......thanks again

Cocktail is a program that will let you clear cookies and other things, and run maintenance scripts. The word Cocktail in Blue is a link. Click on it and it will take you to the download page.

I would also open Disk Utility in your Utility folder and use it to Repair Permissions, next boot off your OS CD. After the installer window appears, go to the Installer Menu at top of screen to Disk Utility and Repair the disk.

well i found the cocktail and down loaded it, and now , how do i actually delete the
things i don't want?.......thanks.....and remember i am new at all of this .......

Open Cocktail
Click on the System Icon
Click on Permissions - run that, when it's done, click on the Scripts icon - run All.
Next, click on the Cache icon, check System, User and Internet cache. Check Cookies (if you want to delete All Cookies). If you only want to delete some cookies, do that from your browsers preferences.
You can also use a cookie program;

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16784

You can delete Safari Bookark icons to save a little space also.

zaze said:
how do i delete the cookies i don't want? my computer is slow so i thought
if i delete some i would have more room...... thanks

Before you go 'just deleting things' have you tried basic maintenance if your Mac is slow? Also, try downloading Onyx and run all the options in the 'Automation' tab.

i found the way to delete cookies,,,,,is there a way to delete all at one time? it will
take a long time to delete one at a time.....thanks for all your help

Cookies really don't take up all that much room on your hard drive -- maybe a few megabytes at the most. Hardly enough to warrant "freeing up space."

Is your hard drive close to being full? If so, I would advise a more aggressive approach to freeing up space. Hard drives don't run well today if they're kept at close to capacity... you should leave, ideally, about 15% to 20% of your hard drive free (for example, for a 20GB drive, you should leave 4GB to 5GB free, all the time).

It very well could be that your computer is running slow if your hard drive is too full, as described above.

Safari > Preferences then pick Security where you will find a button that says "Show cookies". Then push the button that says "delete all".

Now for my question what do you expect that to accomplish? Cookies have absolutely no impact on system performance.

well someone told me that cookies take up a lot of room...now another question for you...is there a way to see how much room i have left? now i am a new computer
person so i really don't know anything, so if i ask a dumb question thats why. so i
don't have to delet all my cookies...if there is anything else you can tell me that would be great....you all have been a great help. thanks to all..if my hard drive is to full what should i do??

Just open a new Finder window of your hard drive. Down at the bottom should read something like, "5 items, XX.XX GB available" where XX.XX is a size in gigabytes.

thanks eidiablo....i have 8 items, 46.32 gb available....now is that good? see mu
computer has been freezing and slow at times, thats why we thought it was because
i had to many cookies? i am learning a lot from you all....anything else i need to know or do?........

No, you've got plenty of space left, even if you had a 250GB hard drive. It's not the free space nor the cookies affecting your computer.

Have you tried Repairing Permissions by opening Disk Utility, then clicking on your hard drive, then clicking "Repair Permissions?" It might help.

thanks for all your help tonite....i have to leave now. i will check in tomorrow. if you
or anyone has any more advice i will take it....i will try what you said to do. i hope it helps so my computer stops freezing up on me....thanks again..

well we did something wrong? now when i am on my home page i can no longer
go to the left of my screen and get to fav. history search ect. what did i do?
i have to keep my computer on tonite...i hope someone can help me....i must have
deleted something when i was deleting my cookies.........also my computer screen
is filled? well put your thinking hats on.....i need help....thanks

zaze

What model Mac do you have?
How much memory is installed?
What operating system are you using?
You can get this info in About this Mac under the Apple.

i have the MAC OSX....imac
version 10.3.5
memory 256 mb sdram
processor. 800.....MHz powerpc g4
i hope that helps bob thanks ......now i forgot what my password is again. i had a bad day....how do i find my username and password. i need to make a new note for them......

why does my computer freeze when i go to certain sites? and when i got rid of my
cookies i must have deleted my info for getting into different forums? now what do
i do? when i try to regester it won't take my info. should i use different user names
and different passwords? thanks.........

well, when you register, often you'll find a box with 'remember my login info' or something like that, your info will be stored in a cookie and you would not have to remember your password. That's why when you delete the cookies you have lost all your info for enetring different forumes If you have sent an email to recover your pwd, for example here in macosx.com, use the your old username (zaze) and the password that you have inthe email that you received...

Back