help! firefox update screwed up computer!

Okay so I also tried safe boot mode, using shift during start up then I restarted but its still like this... I don't know what else to do..

Can we just try to single out the problem? Some helpful things:

1) It only affects my user, so I am thinking it is a problem with a file in my library, maybe preferences?
2) Downloads show up when I download them.
3) The whole desktop icons that show up (the ones recently downloaded) reset themselves after re-login and there's nothing on the desktop.

Thanks for helping in advance.

Is your user account an Admin account or less than that? A simple user account will restrict what you can see on the desktop...

Simple user account. The admin account and the other simple user account work fine. And the desktop has always worked, so I don't know what you mean about restrictions.

Simple user account. The admin account and the other simple user account work fine. And the desktop has always worked, so I don't know what you mean about restrictions.

your simple account probably has limitations turned on. Go to system preferences/accounts when logged in to your admin account (log out of all other accounts first) and make sure to click the No Limits tab for that account.

Then why would new stuff I download show up?, and by the way the icons are there, they are just invisible because if I click in the right place, the icon will suddenly appear. I will try as you said, though.

Can we just try to single out the problem?

You said you didn't know what else to do :)

It only affects my user, so I am thinking it is a problem with a file in my library, maybe preferences?

It's usually corrupt Fonts, Caches or Preference files when a problem shows up only in one account.

Validate your Fonts.
Font Book > All Fonts > choose one then Command + A to choose all > File menu > Validate Fonts.

Use a maintenance tool like Onyx to clear System and User Caches.

Use Preferential Treatment to scan for corrupt Preference files. I've found that it may or may not find corrupt files.
You can try moving your User Preference folder to the Desktop, logout and in to see if that'll fix your problem. If it does fix it, one or more of your Users Preference file is corrupt.

Download Preferential Treatment from here

It said all fonts were acceptable or not needing validation or something of the sort, and I have preceded to back up my preferences folder and delete, but the desktop still isnt working... could it be another user-type problem not in the preferences folder?

Did you logout and into your account after deleting the preferences folder?
Try downloading the COMBO 10.4.10 updater for your model Mac and installing it.

Another problem I have had since updating Firefox is that is quits all day long. Anyone else having this problem?

None of the suggestions posted so far have solved my problem of Finder not working and the desktop icons not appearing on the first start up each morning. Anyone have any other ideas? Please?

Barbara

Your problem is very perplexing. I feel as though you've just quit the finder but you already said that isn't the case. Can you take a screen shot of your desktop and post it here (or a link to it if you post it to photobucket or flickr)?

If your finder icon at the far left (or top) of your dock has a black arrow next to it but you still can't see any desktop icons, then you may have a corrupt finder and you should probably reinstall your os x. However, this requires you back up all your personal files first, just in case.

Back