Help! Fsck can't seem to fix this...

brooklineTom

Registered
Can someone help me get this mac running again? It's a 12" powerbook G4, running os x 10.3.4. Two partitions, one "Macintosh HD" (disk0s3), the other "Users" (disk0s5). The system partition (disk0s3) is HFS+, the other is Journaled HFS+.

The machine suddenly went to a solid kernel panic yesterday. No chime, grey apple screen, spinning gear for awhile, then either the gear just stopped or the gear stopped and the dreaded kernel panic screen came up. I reset the PMU and reset NVRAM, and got back the chime.

I've been able to boot to single-user and run fsck. Fsck complained:

**Checking Catalog file
Overlapped extent allocation (file 2046689d)
Incorrect block count for file com.apple.Safari.plist
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Incorrect block count for file Beavis and Butt-head - 136 - Sexual Harassment.asf
(It should be 5095 instead of 10190)
Missing thread record (id = 293458)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 1081772d)
** Volume check failed.

I used find ("find / -inum 2046689d") to discover the filename associated with the first inode. I mounted the filesystem, then removed the file (it was /usr/janedoe/Library/Caches/Desktop/save.dpImageCache). I shutdown and rebooted to single user, then reran fsck.

**Checking Catalog file
Overlapped extent allocation (file 3794927d)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 2046689d)
Incorrect block count for file save.dpImageCache
(It should be 6989 instead of 0)
Incorrect block count for file com.apple.Safari.plist
(It should be 1 instead of 0)
Incorrect block count for file Beavis and Butt-head - 136 - Sexual Harassment.asf
(It should be 5095 instead of 10190)
Missing thread record (id = 293458)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 3794931d)
Overlapped extent allocation (file 1081772d)
** Volume check failed.

What do I do now? I read on a few forum entries (perhaps not this one) that the proper way to solve the overlapped extent allocation was to delete the file corresponding to the reported inode. However, this seems to have made the problem worse. Also, what is a "Missing thread record", and what do I do about it?

Can this be repaired, or do I need to reinstall the system?

brooklineTom said:
What do I do now? I read on a few forum entries (perhaps not this one) that the proper way to solve the overlapped extent allocation was to delete the file corresponding to the reported inode. However, this seems to have made the problem worse. Also, what is a "Missing thread record", and what do I do about it?
Can this be repaired, or do I need to reinstall the system?
Deleting the referenced inode MAY help, or may not. Your fsck lists a couple. you could try doing the same task several times, which could help. Or, use a utility that can try to repair your file directory, such as DiskWarrior.
Your disk directory needs repair, and reinstalling OS X will not likely help. One fix? back up your files, remove the partitions and build your system back up from scratch. Try a good utility first. Sometimes the BEST fix is to erase/reinstall.

Back