Help!! HDTV Tuner for MAc G5

akhindaria

Registered
I dont mind whether it is internal PCI based or an external like EYE TV. I was dissappointed with Eye TV, no HDTV capability and really small pic.

I want to pipe a HDTV signal from my receiver to my 23" Cinema display. You would imagine that after spending $2000 on this monitor I would be able to use a tiny portion of it for entertainment.

Does Apple have any product in the pipeline for this explicit purpose?

Thanks.

Regards,

Adi

akhindaria said:
I dont mind whether it is internal PCI based or an external like EYE TV. I was dissappointed with Eye TV, no HDTV capability and really small pic.

I want to pipe a HDTV signal from my receiver to my 23" Cinema display. You would imagine that after spending $2000 on this monitor I would be able to use a tiny portion of it for entertainment.

Does Apple have any product in the pipeline for this explicit purpose?

Thanks.

Regards,

Adi
Look at THIS PAGE
Then discover a way to insert a video signal into the ADC cable that you can tune through your reciever.
Also, check this PAGE for a short discussion concerning ATI vid cards since the Radeon 8500, not really what you're asking about.

Thanks, I did check the ramelectronics site but they primarily cater to the pc market, I get your point on splitting the cable though.

Regards,

Adi

DeltaMac said:
Look at THIS PAGE
Then discover a way to insert a video signal into the ADC cable that you can tune through your reciever.
Also, check this PAGE for a short discussion concerning ATI vid cards since the Radeon 8500, not really what you're asking about.

akhindaria said:

Not sure about the HDTV stuff but remember that normal TV resolution is about 640x480. If you've got that on a cinema display then it will be really small unless you change your display's resolution.

I know of no HDTV tuner that is currently available for the Mac. I would guess that there will be a couple on the market within 6 months.

If anybody hears of a HDTV tuner for the Mac, please let us know. Until then, I'll just keep watching Buffy TVS on my Formac Studio TVR and my 20" Cinema Display.

---jmo

Jmo:

What has been your experience with Formac Studio TVR?

I would not recommend Eye TV, I am going to return it, and buy FOrmac, but wqill await your informal review.

Regards,

Adi

monktus said:
Not sure about the HDTV stuff but remember that normal TV resolution is about 640x480. If you've got that on a cinema display then it will be really small unless you change your display's resolution.
NTSC video is only 512 lines and only about 300[color=666666]-ish[/color] wide....

The high-end (non-HDTV) analog/digital televisions reach 1024 lines via line doubling and other odd tricks. I think HDTV can natively support either 800[color=666666]-ish[/color] or 1024 lines.

akhindaria said:

Now, if you just want to use the screen to watch an HDTV signal, thats not a problem. You just need to get any old HDTV reciever that supports DVI output. Get a DVI to ADC adaptor (Dr. Botts makes one iirc). Connect the ADC cable of the monitor directly to the HDTV reciever via the DVI adaptor. Now, if you want it to go thru the computer.... How much money do you have? Kona makes a really nice HDTV I/O card (http://www.kona-sd.net/konahd.htm), but it's $4k. There are 2 other HDTV cards for the Mac, but they start around $12k :)

Brian

Brian:

Thanks. I will try and get one :)

I am curious why would all the searches on Google not come up with it.

I would be happy to just pipe my Onkyo output to the screen but I need a Component to DVI or ADC converter, also I will need to split the the component out of the receiver as the main out is going to an overhead projector.

The advantage of the card will be that I will be able to watch TV on part of the screen, whereas if I pipe it to full screen then I wont be able to work.

Regards and Thanks,

Adi

btoneill said:
Now, if you just want to use the screen to watch an HDTV signal, thats not a problem. You just need to get any old HDTV reciever that supports DVI output. Get a DVI to ADC adaptor (Dr. Botts makes one iirc). Connect the ADC cable of the monitor directly to the HDTV reciever via the DVI adaptor. Now, if you want it to go thru the computer.... How much money do you have? Kona makes a really nice HDTV I/O card (http://www.kona-sd.net/konahd.htm), but it's $4k. There are 2 other HDTV cards for the Mac, but they start around $12k :)

Brian

akhindaria said:
Brian:

Thanks. I will try and get one :)

I am curious why would all the searches on Google not come up with it.

It probably didn't show up on any searches because it's not that common, due to the price. I found out about it by asking a friend of mine who does HDTV editing on Mac's :)

Brian

I also realize that it is a "real time" editing card. How about just a tuner HDTV card. These are availble for wintel machines by dime and dozen, why not mac os x/hardware? I am a "re-born" mac user after being away from the platform for about 10 years?

Used unix, windows, linux etc. in the meantime.

Regards,

Adi

Back