Help in setting up SMTP in Server 10.4

Siddie

Registered
Hello.

I am very new to OSX Server (but been a Mac person for years).
I have been trying to set up my home server to act as a SMTP relay for me when I work away (as I do a lot). I have had the webserver up and running for a year now, but I only now want to get SMTP working, but without upsetting the rest...

I use DynDNS as I don't have a fixed IP address, and I have updated the MX record with them... but I havent a clue how to set up the Server Admin prog.
I want to relay to my ISP's SMTP server as I have heard with a dynamic IP address it is better because of back-lookups by some receiving servers.

Do I just turn on SMTP and away I go?

See the thumbnail below for my setup...

This probably sounds obvious to some of you, but what do I put in the "Domain Name" and "Host Name" boxes?

Anything else I should know?

Another question - anyone got time to explain how to set up FTP access to my sites on this server? I have been copying to the server desktop using afp and then moving things to the correct folder using VNC!

Thanks

Siddie.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes, they do block port 25. Is it possible to setup on another port? And make it authenticated? So I send from, for example, port 666 on my powerbook (authenticated), and my server receives it on port 666, and then forwards the mail to my ISP's SMTP server on port 25...

Siddie

Hello.

I am very new to OSX Server (but been a Mac person for years).
I have been trying to set up my home server to act as a SMTP relay for me when I work away (as I do a lot). I have had the webserver up and running for a year now, but I only now want to get SMTP working, but without upsetting the rest...

You turn on mailservices and enable smtp (like you did according to the pciture.

It is not necessary to relay your mail through another host (like you setup under relay outgoing mailthrough host - mail.tesco.net) and that will cause problems when it is not the provider. (does the smtp work when you feed it mail from the server itself ? ). Best is to leave the field relay ... empty.

Prot change is possible, but then you will have to dig into the configuration files for smtp service under terminal and i am not sure wath name it has.

But first check that mail is send to the outside when you create a mail on the server.

Good luck, Kees

Back