HELP!? iPod to work with Itunes 2 on OS9!!!

FunkSkunk

Registered
I thought that since Apple is so amazing of a company that i wouldn't have any problems getting an ipod and hooking it up to my older Mac running OS 9.2.2 .... yeah right!
After a bit of search i find that you can't download songs from itunes unless you have OS10 running itunes 3 or better. There has got to be another way around this, I am not going to pay more money to run a heavier operating system on my G4!!! I know there has got to be another way, somebody please help me out?

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

I do not think that iTunes 2 supports the iTunes Music Store, so it's most likely impossible to get iTunes 2 to access the iTunes Music Store.

I think I'm understanding your question properly -- are you wanting to "download" music files to your iPod from your Mac using iTunes 2, or are you wanting to "download" music files from the iTunes Music Store using iTunes 2?

What Mac system do you have? Can you upgrade to a version of OS X? DOes it actually have a version of OS X installed? Check in Control Panels-->Startup Disk and it will show you if it has an OS X installation already. Most of the later Macs that can still boot into OS 9 also had a copy of OS X installed but didn't mention much about it.

No i dont' have OSX and i dont' want it either! This G4 is not powerful enough to run 10 yet and my boss isn't getting a new Mac anytime soon either. I'm not an newbie with macs, believe me I know what operating system I'm running.
Guys all i want to do is drop the songs i already have on my g4 mac running os 9.2.2 using itunes 2.0.4. The stupid thing won't do it, but i bet that some one has a way around it.

FunkSkunk said:
No i dont' have OSX and i dont' want it either! This G4 is not powerful enough to run 10 yet and my boss isn't getting a new Mac anytime soon either. I'm not an newbie with macs, believe me I know what operating system I'm running.
Guys all i want to do is drop the songs i already have on my g4 mac running os 9.2.2 using itunes 2.0.4. The stupid thing won't do it, but i bet that some one has a way around it.

Had you specified your level of expertise, I wouldn't have started with the easy stuff. But since you didn't, I had to go towards the least common denominator. No need to be harsh...we get a LOT of new users and switchers here...I just trying to help. ;)

Unfortunately, you might have to use the updated version of iTunes for it to work with new iPods released way after OS 9. I could be wrong and their might be another third party tool, but I haven't come across any in my experience. Hopefully someone else could come up with such a solution. But as far as I know, you'll have to use a newer version of iTunes which unfortunately is only available for OS X. :eek:

ya, if the ipod is 3rd gen or later, it will not work with itunes2. they are os x or later only. and what g4 do you have? my 466 runs os 10.4.3 really well, in fact better then os 9.2.2!

sorry for the harsh reply. I've also posted this in the ipod forum on here and have gotten only lame replies stating the obvious. Just having fustration with the realization that i'm screwed unless I pay out $100 for Os X.

Currently running a OS 9.2.2 on a G4 dual 450mhz with memory maxed out at 1.62Gigs. I also worried about backwards compatibility running classic programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator on OS X, if i do update the os.

Dude. That is more than enough to run OS X on your system. Reemmber that OS X loves more RAM. If you do plan on getting OS X, I recommend getting Panther since it would be cheaper thjan Tiger. At one of the schools I administer the network on, there are some older iMacs running from 400-600 MHz in range. They are all running Panther decently and they don't even have anywhere near the specs of your Power Mac. As for your older apps, you should be fine rtunning them under Classic. And if they don't run all that well in Classic, you can always boot into the OS 9 system and select OS X later until you can get the X native versions of PS and Illustrator.

A lot of the worries about Classic are pretty much ironed out with the later releases of OS X.

For the record, I still use Classic a lot, especially on my old Quadra 650. I've been using Macs for years now since System 6, and my first intro to the Mac was with an old Mac 512 in the 80s as a kid. I also owned an Apple IIc and worked on IIe machines in grade school. So my history with Apple is a long one. ;)

Back