Help!: is my Mac Mini new?

Bonobo

Registered
Help! I've just bought a Mac Mini in Thailand - full price, from an authorised seller. But, on getting the thing home, I found that an admin account had already been set up, and the registration section already completed - both with someone's else's name (who apparently lives in Israel).

The admin password has also already been set, so I cannot install anything (don't know the password). The Apple shop offered to resinstall software, but I demanded new computer. I now have to wait 4 days for delivery...

Has anyone else had this experience? What may be going on??

Was this an authorized Apple reseller/dealer? If not, you might have bought a grey market Mac, which can be dodgy depending on the seller.

Hi - thanks, good point. Well, the Mac Mini WAS purchased (full price!) from an authorised Apple dealer, which is why I was a little surprised...

I'm suspicious of the exact same thing with my mac. The iBook G4 I purchased through Switch (I'm unsure if this is an authorized reseller or not...) took over 2 months to order, and some of the folders were created months before I even ordered it!

could always just reinstall things from scratch, if the hardware works fine i dont see why i would take it back, as long as they still offer warranty etc...

but thats me, I'm lazy ;)

Hmm - thanks for all comments. Well, the Apple shop got me a new one, and all OK now (its even a 'Late 2005' model - impressive for Thailand). I wonder what happened to the one I took back....

Back