Help me join my friends in their Age of Empires game

Wolfr

Registered
I am the sole Mac user at a friend's weekend, which mostly consists of gaming together. Earlier this week I installed Windows 7 using Boot Camp on my iMac (Snow Leopard) without any significant problems.

Yesterday I tried to do the same for my Macbook Pro, yet Boot Camp assistant told me it couldn't partition the drives. It suggested I backed up my information, erased the hard disk, reinstalled Mac OSX, then tried running Boot Camp assistant again to partition the hard drives.

I tried to avoid this situation by doing the following (a Google search yielded these possible solutions):

(1) Verifying disk permissions and repairing them using Disk Utility
(2) Running iDefrag to defragment the hard drive

None of these helped.

I have:

(1) A disk image of Snow Leopard on my HD, but no physical disc
(2) A physical Windows 7 disc
(3) A 500Gb external USB HD that is a Time Machine backup of my current system

I am at a loss how to continue fixing my problem without a physical Snow Leopard DVD. It's too late to run out to the shop now for DVDs. My physical DVDs are in my hometown, 2,5 hours away.

Can I somehow bypass the Boot Camp Assistant, create the partition manually? I think Windows has to run on an NFTS formatted hard drive (partition?), but that doesn't appear to be an option in Disk Utility.

Thanks!

If you couldn't run BootCamp then (without doing anything else) is Boot with the OS X Snow Leopard disk (and before the install starts) and peck around in the menu items and hunt for "Disk Utility". Use that to repair the disk and Repair Permissions on the internal disk. Then boot back into your Snow Leopard (after "Disk Utility" finishes) and try Boot Camp again to install Windows Vista or 7 on the Boot Camp Partition (if you made the partition big enough). Just remember once Windows starts you must put in the Snow Leopard (or Leopard) to install the Windows drivers for all the Mac devices installed in you Mac.

Back