Help! my green iPod is very sick!

mseydel

truculent
I just received an iPod Mini a few days ago as a gift. Right out of the box, I loved the packaging and Mini itself, if not the documentation and speakers. I've never had an iPod before, so I took the time to follow the instructions and power it up via the wall jack before trying to load my tunes.

Once charged, I plugged it in to my G4 Dual 867(OS 10.3.3, iTunes 4.1), and the automation took over and randomly selected about 800 songs and copied them to my iPod. Though I found this a bit strange, I've never had a Pod before. I couldn't change the playlist of the Mini, though, as it was greyed out...again, odd, but I figured I was doing something wrong. The tunes(almost all are .mp3s) copied flawlessly, and for a day and a half I was digging my Mini. The charge was dropping, so I plugged it back in to the same Mac via FireWire 400 to recharge.

When I went to eject my Mini, I noticed that iTunes reported that there were no songs on it. I though this was a glitch and ejected it. It powered up ok, and the charge was at full, but all the songs were gone. I tried re-connecting, but while the songs will copy and appear to be on the Mini, they are not showing up at all when I disconnect; upon reconnect iTunes show it completely empty again...umm, WTF?

:(

Did you upgrade your iTunes on your G4? The mini comes with iTunes 4.2, I think, and the latest version is 4.5 The Mini may require at least version 4.2 to operate properly. You can also try resetting your iPod and starting over.

I would say reset the iPod.
To answer something else you mentioned in your post: the contents of the mini are 'grayed out' because you don't have the iPod set to manual updating.

I typed it in wrong...I'm actually running iTunes 4.5. I reset the Mini to factory presets, but it did the same thing where it just automatically dowloaded a chunk of my Music folder that would fit on the Mini...

As dloyd said, make sure all the software is updated, and then check to see if you have it set for manual or automatic update. I don't have a mini yet but I believe it will try and fill your hard drive with music already listened to in iTunes.

Hm, to disable automatic syncing click on th ipod preference button below in itunes (see attached picture) and check the third option button in the following dialoge.

Attachments

• tunes.jpg
    tunes.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 11
Back