Help! My mac loses screen res after restart!!!

Damrod

Registered
Ok, so lately my Mac loses the screen res I set it too when I switch it off and on back later. I usually run at 1024x768, but when I turn on my Mac it's almost everytime on 800x600.

Does anybody have an idea what's wrong with it? I don't do anything unusual, or have changed anything. Any feedback appreciated. :)

My system: G4 MDD, 1.42GHz single CPU, 768 MB RAM, MacOS X 10.3

first check premissions.

The file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist handles the resolution of thw WindowServer - after the premissions is fixed, if you still are having a problem, mabe you should edit this file by hand (with pico or vi). if all else fails, dump the file - hopefully the computer will make a new one when you reboot - or if you change the resolution size again. (you may want to back it up so you can boot in Single User mode and cp it back

You may find that a zap of the PRAM may help, since monitor resolutions are, I believe, stored in the PRAM. Somehow maybe your resolution settings in the PRAM have become corrupted.

Hold down the keys command-option-P-R immediately after restarting your computer. Keep those keys held down until your Mac restarts (or "chimes") three times. Let go of the keys, let the computer start up, then log in and set your display to the desired resolution in the System Preferences.

I hope that helps!

Back