HELP: My Power Mac G4 won't start anymore

agusgriego

Partially Insane
I was working with my G4/400 Gigabit Ethernet when it suddenly shut down.
Now when I touch the power button, it lights but the machine does nothing. No fans, no sound, nothing.

I tried touching the PMU button but it didn't make any difference. I did it both with the power cord off and on, for about 30 seconds.

Has someone experienced this problem before?

Please help!!
Thanks in advance,

If I'm not mistaken, there was a defect with the power on some early G4s. I think it had something to do with the machine not being grounded properly (I don't remember since it was a while ago and we haven't had those problems since). We had this issue with our Mac Lab where I work. I don't know if those Macs are the same, but the ones in our lab were second generation G4s (1st gens had the green light on the power button, 2nd gens had a white-ish light on the power button). On the ones that wouldn't turn on, we had to call Apple and have them replace the power on them. It didn't happen to all of them, but some did exhibit this problem and we're just waiting for the ones that haven't needed fixing yet to go out so we can repair them.

Mind you, this could just have been an isolated incident with our lab, but you never know....

Not sure if your model has this. The Quicksilver models have a little silver button in the mother board, close to the battery. Press and hold that down for a few seconds, close the door, and try it!!!

Thanks for all the answers, I finally took it to the repair shop and now I'm waiting for them to tell me what the problem was... As soon as I know I'll let you know in case this happens to another...

Well apparently the Power Supply chose to stop working. They replaced it and everything worked again. Whew, for a while I thought it was the logic board...

Mmmmm, so your Macs do have a few "low-quality parts" as well - i thought only PCs apparently crashed and didnt start.

InstaGiB said:
Mmmmm, so your Macs do have a few "low-quality parts" as well - i thought only PCs apparently crashed and didnt start.

Yeah, ironically these are the Macs that have the "Intel" and "AMD" IC chips in them....funny eh??

Darned trolls.... :rolleyes:

(sorry for feeding, but it had to be said)

InstaGiB said:

This is a help forum. You're more likely to see threads about problems here, just as you'd be more likely to see broken cars at a service shop than you would fixed cars. Doesn't mean that most cars are broken.

You came to the wrong place if you were hoping to find a bunch of die-hard Mac fans that believe that Steve Jobs is god and Apple can do no wrong to start a flame war with. This place is filled with Mac users who know that the Mac has problems just as any computer does and come here to get trustworthy help.

nixgeek said:
Yeah, ironically these are the Macs that have the "Intel" and "AMD" IC chips in them....funny eh??
:D

ElDiabloConCaca said:
This is a help forum. You're more likely to see threads about problems here, just as you'd be more likely to see broken cars at a service shop than you would fixed cars. Doesn't mean that most cars are broken.

You came to the wrong place if you were hoping to find a bunch of die-hard Mac fans that believe that Steve Jobs is god and Apple can do no wrong to start a flame war with. This place is filled with Mac users who know that the Mac has problems just as any computer does and come here to get trustworthy help.
Very well put. :)

Back