Help plz:Opened up case. Now, Power button works but keyboard and mousepad do not.

izdizef

Registered
I opened up my case to fix the clutch cover that was not properly aligned. This is on my 'older' C2D Mac Book Pro. I managed to fix what I went after but now the keyboard and mouse is not working. However, the power button is working and it appears that they run off of the same feed so I am terribly confused and frustrated. What could I have done to cause this? Please respond soon.
Thanks

You'll need to remove the top case again, and check the tiny ribbon cable that connects to the trackpad. It runs from the connector that you attach to the logic board to the trackpad (that cable has the connection to power button, as you know, but also has a couple of other connectors, one of which attaches to the trackpad. It's only about 1/4-inch wide, and is under a clear 1 x 2-inch cover that you can carefully peel off. The ribbon cable locks in place with a tiny latch bar. Carefully release that latch, and reseat the ribbon, then press the latch bar back in place, and test by carefully connecting the logic board connector, and then power up. You can verify the fix before you put all those little screws back in :D
That tiny ribbon cable attaches to the trackpad, which attaches to the keyboard through the much larger keyboard connector located next to that tiny one. So, you may have inadvertently moved that small connector, disconnecting both the trackpad and the keyboard. Reseating should get both working again.

Thanks for the response. The problem kind of fixed it self. It was not functioning at the time that I tested it while the case was still apart, then I kinda gave up and put the screws back in and it is working fine now..go figure.

Back