Help! Transferring music between Ipods

alexmanchester

Registered
My Powerbook (with all my music on ITunes) was recently stolen.

All the music is still on my Ipod Mini and I need to transfer it back to my ITunes on my PC (I know, PC grr, but I am waiting for a Mac Book Pro).

Once it is on my PC ITunes, I need to then transfer it to my new IPod 5th Gen.

But as soon as I put the IPod mini into my computer it gives me one option : complete restore and lose everything.

How can I get the music from my Ipod mini to my new IPod without the original music in ITunes?

Please help! Apple technical support and not being helpful....

Oh and btw - I've tried using programs to transfer the music but it says I can't because my Ipod is not 'configured for disc use'.

But the only way I can get the Ipod to be recognised in Itunes (and turn on disc use) is to reformat the whole Ipod and lose everything.

Is there no simple way of movin the music to your PC when its configured for use with Mac?

You could do this the other way around -- use a PC-formatted iPod on a Mac, but you can't do this the way you describe without help.

Check out MacDrive, which will let you read and write HFS+-formatted volumes on a Windows PC:

http://macdrive.com/products/macdrive6/

Then, you can use any of the iPod-music-transferring programs for Windows to grab the music off of the iPod.

'The Ipod is not configured for disk use' means that u have to enable it for disk use. U can do that by plugging the Ipod to the computer and opening iTunes, and in iTunes u go to the Ipod preferences (there should be a small button with an iPod on it on the bottom right corner), and u will see 'enable disk use'- check that box. Now u should be able to use your software.

Or, simply connect the iPod to the computer without launching iTunes first. The iPod will mount as any other USB or FireWire external drive will.

but unless he does this on a mac, it won't work. like el said, without that software, there is no way to mount a mac formatted ipod on a pc. so you'll just have to use your old ipod untill your mac book pro gets there. or find a friend with a mac. just don't link it to another itunes untill you've got the music off it. even with it not linked to the itunes, you'll still be able to set it to disk mode in the ipod prefs. again, only on a mac.

alex, i may be far too late but here goes anyway.

if you have access to a friend's mac you could just use an apple script to rip all of the music off your ipod and onto the desktop. if you then reformatted your ipod as a pc one with hard disk use enabled, you could load it up as a hard drive then plug straight into your pc and unload.

the apple script i used was by Marco Balestra http://faqintosh.com/risorse/en/ipt/ipod/it2d/ and it worked wonders for me when my hard drive died a while back.

hope this helps
mj

Back