Help Using LaCie DVDRW ...

vja4Him

Registered
I'm trying to figure out how to burn my files to a DVD disc, using my LaCie SuperWrite Master Speed Plus.

I tried using Toast 9 that is on the CD, but it's not working.

I'm sure there is a simple solution .....

My computer is a MacPro 2.93GHz, running Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Help!!

What do you mean by Toast 'not working'
I don't think you can burn with Toast from a CD - I think it needs to be installed on your hard drive.
Do you get an error message when you try to use Toast, or, does the burn seem to happen, but the burn fails, or something else?
For the simple solution
If this is simply data files, create a burn folder, drag your files to that burn folder, and then open the burn folder. Click the burn button. Insert your blank DVD-r (if you need that much space), and follow the directions, which is mostly just waiting for the burn to complete. No need for Toast with that technique, the Finder does it all.
Does that not work for you? Or do we need to know what type of burn you are doing (audio, video, or DVD copy, disk image copy?, something else?)

What do you mean by Toast 'not working'
I don't think you can burn with Toast from a CD - I think it needs to be installed on your hard drive.
Do you get an error message when you try to use Toast, or, does the burn seem to happen, but the burn fails, or something else?
For the simple solution
If this is simply data files, create a burn folder, drag your files to that burn folder, and then open the burn folder. Click the burn button. Insert your blank DVD-r (if you need that much space), and follow the directions, which is mostly just waiting for the burn to complete. No need for Toast with that technique, the Finder does it all.
Does that not work for you? Or do we need to know what type of burn you are doing (audio, video, or DVD copy, disk image copy?, something else?)

I tried installing the software from the LaCie CD, but it either would not install, or has disappeared somewhere on my HD. I searched, but could not find it installed anywhere. Tried installing it several times. It seemed to go through the installation process, but does not appear anywhere on my HD.

So, I tried using Toast 9, but it wouldn't work.

So, I found this really old application, Disk Burner, which did burn my files to the DVD, but then locked the DVD, so I can't add any more files. Also, would not allow me to create a name for the DVD.

Then I tried using the internal DVDRW on my MacPro, which did burn almost 8GB of data! And allowed me to give the DVD a name.

I would really like to find an application that will allow me to use Write Session. I see Write Session in Toast 9, but that function cannot be highlighted. But Toast 9 doesn't seem to be compatible with either my MacPro or LaCie burner.

Any suggestions which DVDRW application I might try ....

Writing sessions (so you can use more of the DVD at a later time), is quite unreliable on DVDs. Most software does not support it, and I think you will find that you will have real problems with a DVD when you try to use multi-sessions. That's one reason why Toast shows it as a non-selectable option.
I looked at Roxio support about DVD sessions, and found some info: http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000006TT&PARAMS=set-locale=en
Session-writing is only available on CD-Rs.
The result is: you only get one burn on recordable DVDs.

If you did install Toast Lite, it would be in the same location as any other Roxio software on your Mac: in the Applications folder, then find the Toast 9 Lite folder.
I sometimes use an application called "LiquidCD" for burning CDs/DVDs

Try uninstalling vlc and downloading the newest version. I remember mine was crashing all the time back in the day so I reinstalled it and there were no more crashes afterwards.

Back