help with classic/installing OS 9?

wardc

Registered
Hi, I'm very new to the world of apple, and I have a couple questions. I've just bought a used G3 iBook which is currently running 10.1.5 (upgraded from 10.0.1, I think, when I got it.) As this is the computer I will mainly be using for school, I need to run MS Word on it. I have an Office disc for OS 9, but I can't use any of the applications because it tells me that I need 9.1 or above to start Classic.
When I bought the iBook, it came with both the OS 9 and OS X installer CDs, but when I put the OS 9 one in, it says that it can't use Classic because I must have OS 9.1 or above installed (which is what I am trying to do. Maybe it's because I have been in PC world too long, but this seems pretty funny to me).
When I locate Classic in the system preferences, it says that there is no startup volume for Classic to run off of.
In this, I assume that I do not have OS 9 installed anywhere on my iBook.

SO! Is there any way that I can re-install OS 9 so that I am able to run Classic, and thusly, MS Word? (And do I have to remove 10.1.5 to do that? Because if at all possible I would prefer not to!)

Hopefully that all makes sense somewhat, in all honesty I have no idea what I am talking about!

You have to be booted to OS 9, to install OS 9.
Leave the OS 9 install CD in the drive, and restart, immediately holding the letter C. You will boot to OS 9 (actually the CD). When this completes booting. Double-click the system installer, and install OS 9.... - assuming the hard drive was not erased at some point, and no OS 9 drivers were installed (which will prevent installing OS 9 completely)

Alright, that worked well, but when I go to install OS 9, the only available disk for me to install it on is OS X, and it will not allow me to do that. Does that mean that it was erased from the hard drive?
If I do a "Clean Installation", will that erase OS X and replace it with OS 9?

Thanks for your help!

Back