Help with FTP please

Liza

Registered
I hope this is in the right place, and I hope I describe it correctly!

A designer I'm working with has created an ftp site where he uploads files for me to download. It's protected with a user name and password, and I was able to access and download the first time on IE 5.2 for Mac after trying and failing with Safari (my preferred browser).

Problem is, I'm no longer able to get this right! I've tried clearing the cache, history etc. I've tried to get to a login from the File menu but this doesn't exist. I've tried using Firefox, but no joy there either.

The designer is able to work this way successfully with other Windwos users (he's on Win), so the only conclusion we can come to is that I'm not doing something right on the Mac side.

Here's a screenshot from IE:
scie.png

And here's one from FireFox (note that clicking on "up to higher level directory" just adds ../ to the url, but same page view):
scff.png

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer!

To use FTP it's recommendable to use an FTP-Client.

You can try Cyberduck (free). My favourites are Transmit (30$ worth, also great option to deal with iDisk) and Interarchy 40$, my personal favourite (but might be overkill, still have to mention it – it would be perfect if it could handle WebDAV=iDisk)

Usage for all is easy: you fill in server/user/password and click connect.

If you're only downloading click to your Desktop and hit Command K (or Menu -> Go -> Connect to Server).

Enter your ftp server details and you should be good to go.

It's not real fast but it works.

Cyberduck works an absolute treat!

eric2006 - transmit and fetchsoftworks don't appear to be free

simbalala - using that method I got the "connecting to" window, and then got disconnected

Many Thanks Everybody!

Liza said:
Cyberduck works an absolute treat!!
It's good that you found what you needed. You can always rely on this forum to get solutions.

I always assumed Fetch was the gold standard FTP programme for Macs. I don't use it anymore simply because I currently use iDisk to upload pages to my .Mac web space. However, I used to use Fetch and found it incredibly simple to use, unlike Interarchy.

I'm having a devil of a time figuring this out. I have Cyberduck and Transmit. My son wants to D/L some stuff from my computer. He can't sem to be able to connect with mine, no matter what we do. FTP access, File Sharing, everything seems to be set up properly. We keep getting an error about login name or password. It's all confusing for me. I have read the getting started and easy start programs but I don't understand where we are going wrong.

Whenever it asks for Login/Password, it's asking for the login/pass of the computer you're trying to connect to.

If that doesn't help, then it might help you, baba, to start a new thread and ask your question there, since it seems like a seperate issue from this one.

Back