Help with Partitioning (OS 10.5.1)

Madelin

Registered
I am trying to partition my 500GB external HDD into two partitions. One for my files, one for time machine.

When i try to make the Time Machine partition it gets 1/3 of the way through before reporting back that there is not enough space left. The exhdd has ~300GB of free space, im trying to make a 175GB time machine partition.

I heard that parallels may be causing these errors. So i uninstalled parallels and tried again. This time 1/3 of the way through, my screen darkens and a message appears telling me i need to restart my Mac.

Whats going on? How can i partition my external harddrive?

Are you, by chance, trying to partition as a DOS file system? I've had trouble like you describe when doing that (sorta kinda).

The repartition should take only a few moments if the partitions are both Mac file systems.

Check your Time Machine System Preferences and make sure it is not trying to copy ALL of your mounted disks.

No ive checked. Since my last post i have erased all time machine backups and switched time machine off. Still partitioning is failing. Perhaps its just not meant to be ....

I'm still not clear exactly what you are doing.

I usually get in Disk Utility, select the disk (not the partition), then hit partition, set my partitions like I want them, then hit apply. Is that what you are doing?

Yeah thats exactly what i am doing.

PROBLEM NOW SOLVED. I dont know what happened but after restarting and numerous tries the partition actually worked. Sorry for wasting anyones time.

Back