Help with videos

KekoKun

Registered
I just got an iMac 350 and updated it with 512MB of ram and Mac OS X 10.3.9, and just today i was trying to watch some videos but they lag too much, i see like one frame every 2 or 3 seconds, do you think it is because of the only 350mhz? or might there be something else?

Also, what do you think of the computer with that config? iMac 350/ 512MB RAM/ OSX 10.3.9/ Temp 7.0GB HD

Well, it could be the video card partly, but thats still a problem. Did you try downloading the videos? Streaming them is just asking for trouble with a machine like that.
Thats a very good machine, though. You aren't going to be editing HD film with FCP, but for Word, internet, music, minor photo editing, you should be great. The more RAM the better, but you have a pretty good amount now. Looks like you are getting a new hard drive, which would be what I'd recommend. OS X barely fits on those iMac hard drives, and when you through in photos, documents, applications, you are full pretty soon.

What kind of videos? AVI? MPEG? h.264?

350MHz is not very powerful -- my 500MHz machine chokes completely on h.264 and barely eeks out enough frames to watch a high-quality MPEG4.

not sure of the video type, but i suposse that is the problem, it plays mp2 with no problem but h.264 barey, and the other one was an avi downloaded from video google, i guess i will have to stick to low quality videos

350MHz is definitely not enough for H.264. I wouldn't want to play 640x480 Divx/MPEG4 videos on it, either. My old 450MHz iMac just barely handled those (small amount of frame skipping). If you want to play Divx movies, boot into OS 9 and install 3ivx. It'll give you much better performance than anything else. Maybe enough for 640x480 Divx. That's what I used to do on my iMac. There was still a little frame skipping, but it was barely noticeable.

Back