Help with window size when attaching to Gmail

Todd1001

Registered
I've recently been having trouble attaching files when using gmail. When I compose a message and I try to attach a file, the window that opens up is too big. It's difficult to click the "Okay" or "Cancel" buttons because they're off the screen. I can't seem to find a way to resize the window (the usual way of resizing by pulling the corner doesn't work).

I'm fairly new to mac, and I'm finding this problem very frustrating. Any suggestions?

You can do this through Mail.app, by adding your Gmail account but I guess you are using Safari? FTR, what size screen do you have? Try just grabbing the window by its Title Bar and moving it towards the left of screen until you see the bottom right corner ... I will investigate this myself to see what's going on ...

Yes, I am using Safari. I don't have this problem when I use Firefox. The issue just started recently. Thanks for your help.

I just checked this out in Safari ~> My Gmail account and note that when I want to attach a file to a new message what's known as a "Sheet" slides out of the Safari Menu bar but it is not wider than my screen which is 20", in fact it's about half the width of my screen. Does this tie in with your experience ...

The below image is a general display of a "sheet":

In Mac OS X many dialog boxes slide out of a window's title bar and are attached to that window rather than being on their own. These dialog boxes are know as "sheets" and can be anything from Open/Save dialogs to the Customise Toolbar settings. They are attached to a certain window to show that they are associated with that particular file or application. If you can't remember seeing this before, open up a TextEdit file and choose Save As.

Gmail does open up the dialogue box as a sheet. It used to open up a small sheet, as you've described. But for the last couple weeks, it opens up as a huge window that is larger than my screen, and it's hard to navigate to the "Cancel" or "Attach" buttons at the bottom.

If you can manage to get to the lower right-hand corner of that sheet, you can "grab" that corner with your mouse and re-size the window to something smaller. You can see the place to grab the window in VirtualTracy's post -- those three, small, diagonal lines on the corner of the sheet itself.

After re-sizing the window this way, Mac OS X should "remember" that window size and use it from then on out.

Thanks for the help... but I can't grab the corner to make the window smaller. The window is too big and there's no way I can resize it. I think there's some kind of glitch with my Safari

Mac Book 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS 10.5.4

Again, works fine with Firefox, and used to be okay with Safari up until a couple weeks ago.

Not sure how to post a screen shot.... Thanks.

Not sure how to post a screen shot.... Thanks.

The Ultimate Mac Screenshot Guide:

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/category-terminal.html

Did you try moving the window (Safari) towards the left of your screen to try to access the buttons on the Sheet? Grab the Safari Title Bar and hold it and slide it towards the left to expose what's off screen to the right. Then when you resize the window, Finder should 'remember' it for next time.

Tried downloading the software you recommended. I still can't shrink the window size or get it so that I can see the bottom of the window. It works with Safari only when I'm not using the attach-file window. Guess it's time to switch to Firefox!

At what resolution are you running your monitor?

If it's a CRT, or you're using an LCD and are using a resolution that is less than the native resolution of the LCD, then you can try increasing the resolution of the monitor via the System Preferences, then activate the attach file window however you were doing it, grab the corner of the window and shrink it, then change the resolution back to whatever it was to begin with.

Back