Hey Admin!!!

pooldiver1712

Registered
A. I don't know if you are connected with this but from the server 208.29.16.200 i downloaded osXupdate.img.sit and when I unstuff it and
try to put it into toast it gives me a strange dialog that I don't know how to handle something about sectors or something then i click proceed and I burn it and I can't start up from the disk.

B. What happened to the FTP links on the top of the page????

Originally posted by pooldiver1712
A. I don't know if you are connected with this but from the server 208.29.16.200 i downloaded osXupdate.img.sit and when I unstuff it and
try to put it into toast it gives me a strange dialog that I don't know how to handle something about sectors or something then i click proceed and I burn it and I can't start up from the disk.

B. What happened to the FTP links on the top of the page????

The Admin discontinued posting of the FTP link until Apple releases info on the specifics of the lagilty downloadable OSX 10.1 update.

i don't mean to pick on the original poster, but this is just the kind of stuff that makes apple shy away from making this update available officially as a download........tech support nightmare.....

Originally posted by doppelbock
i don't mean to pick on the original poster, but this is just the kind of stuff that makes apple shy away from making this update available officially as a download........tech support nightmare.....

That's fer sure...

in this transitional time the norm is likely to be that most people have all sorts of equipment in all sorts of levels of support and suportability.

Toast seems to think it knows how to handle .dmg files but in fact, does not.

you have to have some way to convert the image to something Toast understands will be a mac HFS+ volume and then burn it.

Ideally, you should have no problem burning in the OSX but here comes the transitional factor with tons of people having only SCSI burners or unsupported USB devices.

At the same time, there is plenty of information out there with lots of workarounds that may or may not assume you have yet another easily achieved situation (like drive copies to spare partitions....) so basically it comes down to no single solution working for any kind of majority...except burn it to a cd and distribute cd's.

This unfortunate situation has lead to a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth, as some kind of Apple sponsored plot to steal your money.

If it was a paid upgrade, it would cost over a hundred.

Distributing CD's still has overhead.

$20 is reasonable to cover the costs. .... Certainly makes no profit.

If your boss comes to you and says c'mon work a bunch of overtime for free and help us pack up this shipment for all of our dedicated customers....you might have a few choice phrases you hope he eternally remembers.

you can convert dms images to toas images by doing teh folowing in the terminal

hdiutil convert -format UDTO TargetImage.dmg -o OutputImage.img -noext

Admiral

It's in the .img format and i can't get to it in toast because it screws the image up should It is a image from an aladdin application (Stuff it and other stuff) Should I convert the image in Disk Copy????

DO NOT mount the .img file because it gets corrupted :)
Just make the img file and the just drag it into toast :)
This is the way I got all my DMGs burned.

Originally posted by pooldiver1712
It's in the .img format and i can't get to it in toast because it screws the image up should It is a image from an aladdin application (Stuff it and other stuff) Should I convert the image in Disk Copy????

You mean shrinkwrap....

you should try converting image without mounting

there should be a checkbox.

and work on a copy if you can just to be sure....

I had the same problem, toast only burned a coaster. It worked fine burning from disk copy 6.5b11 from mac os 9.

Back