Hide Desktop Icons?

spmurph

Registered
I was wondering if there's a way to temporarily hide all desktop icons when working...

I'm used to those stupid MDIs on Windows where there wasn't a lot going on in the background. I really don't like the way windows handled multiple documents though, so don't get that impression. It looks really bad when stretching them to fit multiple monitors.

I searched google and wasn't able to find anything that did what I wanted, but maybe there's even a native way in OS X to do it?

Thanks in advance

There's no real need to have anything on your desktop if you don't want that, so why not permanently hide your icons, so there's nothing at all on your desktop?
Here's what I do: I have all my commonly used folders in my Dock. The folders are kept in my user folder. There's many ways to configure this to make your Dock more useful, and then you can keep the Dock hidden, so even that is out of sight. I click-hold on a folder in the Dock, and after a short delay, all folders and files in the folder are shown. I sometimes put temporary files/folders on the desktop, and move them off when no longer needed to have 'right-now' access.

My point is: It's easy on a Mac to have a totally clean desktop if you like that. Also, after Panther, you can make quick access to a lot of folders directly on any Finder window through the sidebar.

Back