Hmm. What? X11 with 10.3

Mikel

Registered
I'm back at trying to figure out X11 now and decided to install it from the OSX10.3 CD#3. The version number for X11 is 4.3.0. The Fink site says this: "10.3 users: You will need to install version 4.3.99.1-2 or later". So what's going on here? Is there a version number convention that I'm unaware of, like using dates (ie. 99 as 1999 and 0 as 2000)?

Strange thing, Fink doesn't have xfree86 packages listed past 4.2.11-3 in dselect. There must be something plainly obvious that has gotten past me again.

All that aside, startx ain't working as usual because of "command not found" in the x11r6b/bin and elsewhere (xinitrc, xserverrx, xterm...). In fact some DO exist.

Nearly 4:30am and I'm getting nowhere fast. :(

I know X11 installs as two commands, /Applications/Utilities/X11.app and /usr/X11R6/bin/X

Are you sure you installed X11.app as well or just the bare Xwindows server? (You should see the X11 app in Applications: Utilities.

As for the version number, unixy apps tend to have strange version numbers. My RedHat kernel sometimes uses a similar scheme (dashing two version numbers to indicate a patchlevel).

As long as you installed X11.app and use softwareupdate you should have the most recent build of Apple's X11 server. I've never had a problem with Finkable X-apps with my version of X...

[amras@Homsar ~]% /usr/X11R6/bin/X -version

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)

PS the point of X11.app is to avoid having to issue shell commands to start the X window server.

Back