Home Network, Ethernet Trouble

shmeqn

Registered
Home network consists of a G4, Dell Dimension, Linksys Firewall/Router, and Westell 6100 DSL modem. The Dell can connect to both the internet and the Linksys. The G4 cannot connect to either. I cannot ping the G4 from the Dell or the Dell from the G4. I have verified the ethernet card is properly seated and I have swapped ethernet cables.

The G4 is my primary computer.

Not sure if this is a contributer but I recently trashed all of my prefs and reinstalled 10.3 after having problems from a faulty Quicktime 7 install. All other applications work properly.

I have recently moved so this is my first time trying to establish the home network since the 10.3 reinstall.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

01. 'Home network consists of a G4', is not specific enough; providing a model number is.
02. 'I have verified the ethernet card is properly seated', an Ethernet card in a Mac? - but then, no Mac model was provided ...
03. View this.

Barhar:

1. G4 Model number is M8493

2. You're right... no ethernet card. But nothing appears loose where the connection is made.

3. I tried to open Network Connections but I I had no saved location, and the show pop-up menu only contained "Network Status". I used the Assist Me button to create a new location, but after entering my ISP information, connection still failed and the application prevented me from finishing... so I still have no saved location.

Thanks,
Eric

'G4 Model number is M8493' - as known as, 'Quicksilver' edition.

Select 'System Preferences' 'Network' utility - take a snapshot of the window ('Command <shift> 4, press Spacebar, click mouse on window'), proceed through the configuration process - taking a snapshot of each step.

Rename each snapshot '01ss.pdf' (for the first snapshot), '02ss.pdf' (for the second snapshot), etc.

Post such snapshots (including a snapshot where 'the application prevented me from finishing' occurs) with your reply. Read 'What Are Attachments?' to learn how to upload the snapshots.

I will take the snapshots and post when I get home tonight. One additional observation I made... The Linksys LED's are out in the port where the G4 is connected. I tried other ports but failed to get those LED's to light. So I'm unable to communicate with anything right now. I'm guessing this may be related to the saved location probelm?

Thanks again,
Eric

Ok, here is my network setup process step-by step

01ss.pdf and 02ss.pdf is my Network Manager window. Notice there are no saved locations.

03ss.pdf through 07ss.pdf is my attempt to establish a network connection using the Network Setup assistant. Picture 07ss was the end of the line. All I could do was quit the setup assistant.

08ss.pdf through 10ss.pdf is my attempt to establish a Location. 11ss.pdf shows after applying all change, when I restart the Network Manager Window, I am back to having no saved Locations.

Attachments

• ._01ss.pdf
    82 bytes · Views: 3
OK, two mistakes with the last post... I accidently posted image filles and captures 03 through 06 are over 100kb. Attached are captures under 100kb which still detail my connection setup.

Thanks again,
Eric

Attachments

• 01ss.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • 02ss.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 08ss.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 5
  • 09ss.pdf
    68.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 10ss.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 10
Based on 'The Linksys LED's are out in the port where the G4 is connected. I tried other ports but failed to get those LED's to light.' and the provided '.pdf' snapshots ... I am guessing that the Ethernet port of your PowerMac is defective.

The name of your ISP DSL account is "My Account"? Every ISP I have ever had each customer has a unique account name to log onto their account with.

No, that is just a generic username for the purpose of capturing the screen. There's no way I'm going to post my real account information over the internet.

Back