honest opinions please

welshviking

Registered
Hi all,
Would like everybodys honest opinion on PANTHER 10.3 i am now very close to ordering it but i still need a little push to bite the APPLE. I run 10.1.5 at the moment so i would like to know the advantages are, i have read all the specs but i would like comments from people who are actually using PANTHER.......Look forward to your creative comments.......Colin

I upgraded from 10.1.5 on my G3 and it was fine. The information I had from several forums is that you better make a clean install, but it worked fine for me.

Speed is increased and Exposé is fantastic.

My only concern: OS8-OS9 compatibility has not improved.

I had a few struggles, but wouldn't consider going back to 10.2.8. Panther is much faster and you'll like the new Finder, especially its search speed.

If you're still on 10.1.5, oh man, the speed increase is worth it alone. You'll feel like someone spit-shined and supercharged your 10.1.5 when you get your hands on 10.3.

I wouldn't wait another minute ordering it. No matter what you do: student, bum, corporate executive, you can find a way to justify that $129. I'm a poor student and $129 is food for a week and a few beers as well, and I managed to fit it in. I had to make some cuts, but the smile on my face sitting in front of Panther more than made up for the four straight days of Raman noodles.

<push!> hope, this helps... no, really, coming from 10.1.5, you'll greatly embrace the better speed, but even more so the new features! Have you found 10.1.5 to be adequate for your needs? Then Panther will just rock. It's not _radically_ different, it's just more of the same - but much better. Refined. A great OS. That is, if your computer is not a beige G3, because then it just wouldn't run on your system.

I went from 10.1.5 to 10.3 and never looked back... significant improovements across the board.. I have a prehistoric ibook2 G3 500 w/ 256 MB ram.. (the first model of ibook2) and everything is faster.... its well worth the money...

This kind of goes against what everyone else is saying, but I don't know if Panther is really worth it.I crashed more times with Panther than I did with Jaguar.Everyone says it is faster, but what else? exposé is pretty cool, though.I don't think that there is much of a difference between Jaguar & Panther. I think Apple hurried into making this, because it crashes- not just with me, but with tons of people. I would have stuck with jaguar until at least 10.4. maybe I just think this because I am new to macs,I don't know.

ok well think of it this wa. if you are going from 10.1 to 10.3 you are buying the best of 10.2 plus 10.3 not to mention you get a free upgrade of almost all the iApps

10.1.5 means you do not know the joy of Safari...
You're rig is one of the machines that accept Panther well.

Back